Thread: Devil's Chair Dash

Devil's Chair Dash

I made a first attempt at this race today, with very little knowledge of it, other than the stats at 3 miles and 800ft.

It's a simple up and down. First section is along an undulating track, then turning more steeply up some more genuine Fell terrain, until hitting the ridge top for a final 3/4 of a mile on a slight incline, along horribly rocky and slippery terrain, to the summit turnaround.

So, on the face of it, a simple out and back Fell Race. But coupled to this, it's also a decent sized local event, funrun, whatever you would like to call it. Largest amount of spectators I've ever seen on a Fell Race, especially at the summit, and I'd guess out of the approx 250-300 competitiors, only 100 max were 'Fell runners' and the majority of the rest seemed to be locals and families enjoying the challenge.

This did bring a few additional challenges. One bloke on the start line decided he wanted to be right at the front, with 3 tiny children and a couple of dogs. I was immediately behind him so could see to be careful, but people behind me wouldn't have had a chance. When the start went up the dogs just veered sideways in front of everyone, lord knows what happened to the kids.

And I seemed to hit the greatest concentration of slow moving ascenders, just as I hit the steepest and slippiest section of the descent, which, given their unpredictability, made for some interesting course-changes on my part, including one section where I actually ended up outside the 'funnel' created by the spectators as I tried to find the best ground, eventually ending up in some trees.

But it was quite clear from the entry process and nature of the event that a Fell Race wasn't necessarily the main priority, so I think everyone was happy to make the best of it.

As to the race... I ascended steadily but not as well as I could have... yesterday's hard effort at the Parkrun had taken a little out of my legs, and despite telling myself to put the hard effort in, my legs weren't responding, and I did walk sections I'd usually be running. Having said that, I reached the summit turnaround in about 20th, and only about 40 secs behind Athers of this forum, so I can't have been moving too badly.

Despite descending probably as well as I have ever managed before, I still lost a few places going down, before picking one back up in the final few hundred yards, to finish 23rd. About 16mins to the top, and 10 and a half back down.

Great event, it makes for a good fellracing course on its own merit, and the other aspects of the day, particularly the support, only add to the occasion.
    Last edited by Travs; 26-12-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Back to Shropshire again today for this one... conditions compared to last year were pretty abysmal.... last year, whilst slippery in places, was at least vaguely dry and clear, and vest weather... today was rain, zero visibility and fairly nippy...

Not sure how many were there, but numbers perhaps a little down on last years total of around 320...

As to the race, I found myself a little trapped on the initial track out of the village, but worked through as it spread out, and climbed fairly strongly, reaching the summit in a little group containing 10th-12th positions. As per, lost a few positions on the way back down... nothing too major, only lost one position on the worst section of descent, but just passed by faster runners. Finished 16th in around 27:55, which was about 1min25 slower than last year, but felt it was a better performance given the conditions (finished 23rd last year).

Great little race, and seems a big event for the village...

Went over to this for the first time for a few years.

About 3 miles up and down, but quite varied, with a road/track leading to the steepest part of the climb, then a very uneven, slippy and rocky ridge run out to the summit turnaround.

Didn't feel particularly sprightly on the climb, but was more than holding my own, and reached the summit about 15 seconds off my pb pace, in around 16:15.... despite feeling like i ran fairly well on the fell section of the descent, i ran out of steam sonewhat upon reaching the final 3/4 mile of road/track to the finish, and remained about 14 seconds off my pb time, coming over the line in 26:44

18th (3rd v40)

Really is an enjoyable event, with many fell walkers and family groups taking part as well as the usual fellrunning crowd, along with plenty of spectators lining the steep fell section.