Thread: Running with a cold

Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Running with a cold

In my younger days, if I had a cold I would keep running, but nothing too strenuous: just steady runs, no reps or long distances. It seemed that running would clear my nasal passages well, but I wasn't sure if it might be delaying the recovery. These days, I don't run with a cold, I just go for moderately paced cycle rides or walks.

What do other people do when they have a cold, and do you feel that continuing to run is beneficial or harmful to recovery? Is there any objective research on this subject?

[Note: I am referring strictly to the common cold, not flu or any other condition involving a raised temperature.]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

i very rarely get colds... in fact, I haven't had one this year since last winter (that'll put the curse on it!)..... however on the rare occasion that I do, I feel that it's harmful to continue, purely from personal experience. Certainly would never bother to attempt an intense session with a cold.

On the other hand, when I was into Muay Thai, it was more of a balancing act, particularly on the run-up to a fight... often I needed to continue to get the training in, continue restricting calorie intake... the punishing training schedule, coupled with 'making weight' meant I could get run down more easily, and regular as clockwork, I would usually get a howling cold about two weeks out from a fight, when training was at its most intense.

Just getting over one felt a bit ropey last Tuesday but went out for a run and felt shocking, short of breath being the major issue so had 3 days off and then back to it, I generally listen to Mrs DTR, if she says I’m being an idiot then I normally am , ironically she’s had a chest infection and so has had a week off as well, hopefully we’ll get out for a short one together tomorrow, generally I just go on how I feel and hit the lemon and honey, like most people I find it harder to not go out than to stay in

Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    First run for six days, today. Last Thursday there was just a hint of cold symptoms, but not enough to affect my run. The cold was worst over the weekend, but now I've only got catarrh left, so I went out. It felt a bit laboured, and I soon abandoned thoughts of going up Beacon Hill, but my time for a shorter route via the Outwoods was quite fast. I do feel better now; it's cleared some of the catarrh.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges