Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Beach you've been on

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    West Sands at St Andrews. Run out along the beach, and back through the rough on the golf courses, or vice versa. Portstewart Strand in Northern Ireland is rather similar, with the added bonus of some serious sand dunes if you want to do some really tough training.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A tiny little beach on the shore of Loch Coire Mhic Fhearchair below the Triple Buttress of Beinn Eighe.
    A magic spot.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Balnakeil Bay or Maybe Dunnett Bay lovely white sands and turquoise seas and the surfing is better in Autumn and winter, i.m.o the Far north and Northwest Scottish beaches beat any foreign beaches I have been on, and they are great if you have a campervan talking of which Calgarry Bay on Mull has a free basic campsite.

Mind you I would much rather be on the hills than on a beach and that is another plus with the NW Scotland beaches you can have a day in the hills and end it on a superb quite beach.
    Calgary Bay on Mull has to be right up there, also Luskentyre on Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWoodman View Post
    Calgary Bay on Mull has to be right up there, also Luskentyre on Harris.
    Yes, second that re Isle of Harris and also south Lewis (i.e Uig). Turquoise waters, white sands, backed by dunes and luscious meadows of wild flowers behind and just beyond that very runnable, rarely trod, mountains - what's not to like! Sea breezes keep the midges off (most of the time ). Best of all, you won't be sharing it with flocks of tourists, jet skies and the like, just the occasional sheep or pony. Wild camping is smiled upon - heaven.
    Am Yisrael Chai

A beach along the south coast of Tasmania, we backpacked several days along the south coast track before reaching it. A good mile long and looking out towards the next landmass, Antarctica.

Sanna or Kentra Bays Singing Sands for me.

So many to choose from in Scotland.

In the UK the best I've been on is at the southern tip of Harris. Just outside Leverburgh heading towards Lewis. Don't know what it's called, but it's awesome. I just had to park up and have a walk.

Overseas, the Atlantic coast in Portugal. Almost any of the ones I've been on. But the beach a couple of miles south of Nazare, Portugal across the River. It runs most of the way to Sao Martinho. About 5 miles long, hills at the back, and very peaceful with the purest white waves crashing on to the beach.
    It's not the beach famed for the huge waves, but it would still be my pick.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    There’s a little beach by the river Wharfe I’ve always loved. It’s nowhere near as well known as the area by the Priory ruins but a nice place to pause for a minute or two on a walk or run

For me Porth Melgan near St Davids Head, Pembrokeshire. Got it all:- Sand, caves, stream to dam, rock pools, good swimming and a fine view out over islands.Some on the Shetlands take some beating.

Freashwater East, northeast end. Caves, rockpools, flat sands, coastal path walks and decent body surfing waves. Bliss.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth