Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FellRace of the Year 2018

FellRace of the Year 2018

https://peatrunningwild.wordpress.co...the-year-2018/

I don't think the winner is particularly controversial but you may be surprised at some of the Top 10

Banned
    Very well wrote and produced Pete.

Being a lover of short to mediums, I'm not keen on the outcome. 5 out of the 10 have been completed though by myself.

Too much trail in there too in my humble opinion.

Thanks so much for your efforts and sharing it with us. It will certainly lead to much debate👍

Understand it's a "bit of fun" but for me there's a couple of obvious glaring omissions...

1. Ennerdale: Was the 50th anniversary race in glorious weather, and still attracted (I think) around 250 runners when there was also a champs race on the same day.

2. Buttermere Horseshoe: Not only is this a top race every year, but it was a champs race this year, the cream of Fellrunners were there, and the record was absolutely smashed.

I'd also throw Langdale in there because of the ungodly weather conditions, although I wasn't there myself to witness it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Interesting stuff and like the scoring system - well thought out. My only criticism is that a couple of races would not truely constitute fell races in my opinion.
    Some might also argue the Anniversary Waltz has had an overly inflated turnout for the last couple of years and understandably so. Not sure you can or should mitigate for such circumstances - on your metrics it is a valid as any other (and deservedly in the top 10 IMHO).

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Another interesting stat. 75% of posts on the thread are by someone called Pete!

My criteria for 'fell race of the year' would be it had to have something that made it stand out from a normal year, whether in terms of emotion/occasion, extreme weather, or performance...

So for 2018 I'd have the ones I mentioned above...

Ennerdale
    Buttermere
    Langdale

plus Anniversary Waltz (for obvious reasons)
    Ben Nevis (not far off a record in the mens, and didn't the ladies record get smashed?)

Banned
    Scafell Pike.
    Low numbers, classic route with choice.
    And still something for the climber, bit for the runner and descender is interested too.
    Cracking flapjack at the end and a natter with Joss.

Super Moderator
    Six are barely fell races imho. Well five

400+ at Trunce is too many for that course. I imagine the leaders are now finishing at 6.4km as the back markers get through the gate at 1km.

Open question: On what is your opinion of a race's stature based?

For me it's mainly FITC which I read when I was doing a bit of Peak District racing but wanted to learn more about the sport further afield. Therefore the races listed in the monthly summaries tend to be the ones I hold highest: Lakeland classics and short sharp buggers, with a few others scattered about the place that are big in their own way (3 peaks, Edale Skyline). The Lakeland mediums are a set I have neglected and must rectify this.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Similar for me... the long Lakeland And Welsh classics are the ones I hold in the highest regard, and when I first started were the races I aspired to compete in. And I guess this came from FITC (although I don't really have the same feeling for the BGR)

Although I have nothing but admiration and wonder for the athleticism and sheer mental strength also needed to win the short and medium races.