Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 rounds by bike

3 rounds by bike

Just read this on John Kelly’s blog...

“In the UK, there are the Big 3 Rounds: Bob Graham, Charlie Ramsay, and Paddy Buckley. Doing any one of them in sub 24 hours is quite the achievement. But, you know, I don’t know how long we’ll be in the UK so I’ve gotta pack in as much as I can quickly. 🙂 So I want to do all 3 of them, back to back to back. And I don’t want something like driving speed to be a variable in how long it takes me overall, so I’m going to ride my bike between each of them (> 200 miles between each). All forward progress will be powered by nothing but my own two legs.”

Bloody hell...

bloody hell indeed.
    I recall hearing of something similar to this being done in the past, maybe in FITC? Or am I imagining things?
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Hugh Symonds?
    All the British and Irish 3000s and ran all the miles between.

Mike Hartley did them 'back to back': https://www.gofar.org.uk/UKBig3Records.html. I assume this wasn't with cycling between. His overall time (86hrs or so) isn't that far off what this lad's planning using his bike. Crazy stuff.
    Geoff Clarke

Ok, this guy's put out his intended schedule and it's absolutely bonkers. Something like (these are durations not times of day):

PBR - 20h:10m
    Rest - 03:10
    Ride to Lake District (inc. break) - 12:10
    BGR - 20:05
    Rest - 00:15
    Ride to Glen Nevis (inc. break) - 13:00
    CRR - 22:00

I love the fact someone has the balls to think this is possible, but mate... surely no-one can get close to anything like that? The whole thing starts with a 20hr Paddy! Then an a few hours kip, then bike to the Lakes, then a 20 minute rest, then smash out a 20hr BGR, cheeky 15 minutes rest before it's back on the bike to Glen Nevis, another kip and the small matter of a 22hr Ramsey. I'll build a statue of him in my garden if he does it.
    Geoff Clarke

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Ok, this guy's put out his intended schedule and it's absolutely bonkers. Something like (these are durations not times of day):

PBR - 20h:10m
    Ride to Lake District (inc. break) - 12:10
    BGR - 20:05
    Rest - 00:15
    Ride to Glen Nevis (inc. break) - 13:00
    CRR - 22:00

I love the fact someone has the balls to think this is possible, but mate... surely no-one can get close to anything like that? The whole thing starts with a 20hr Paddy! Then an a few hours kip, then bike to the Lakes, then a 20 minute rest, then smash out a 20hr BGR, cheeky 15 minutes rest before it's back on the bike to Glen Nevis, another kip and the small matter of a 22hr Ramsey. I'll build a statue of him in my garden if he does it.
    Where is John from. It sounds as though he isn't familiar with the 3 rounds at all or the terrain, or British Roads. Good luck to him but this is a large undertaking, even for the initiated!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Where is John from. It sounds as though he isn't familiar with the 3 rounds at all or the terrain, or British Roads. Good luck to him but this is a large undertaking, even for the initiated!!
    He's American but living in the UK at the moment. He's an experienced ultra runner (inc. Barkley 5 loop finisher!) and has done some reccying, so it's not like he's cluelessly blundering in to it.

Cannot get my head round that schedule...
    Geoff Clarke

He's undoubtedly bonkers, but he's also been in the top 30 amateurs at Ironman Kona and completed the Barkley Marathons. He's from that part of Tennessee, so is used to moving in mountains even if he's not going to be familiar with the rounds. My concern, looking at the schedules, is which sections of the rounds he's doing at night - but he seems more concerned to not be cycling through the night.

He’s off. Clockwise from Capel. You can track via his blog, but the Garnin only updates every 30mins, so it looks like his missed Moel Siabod already!