Thread: Big weekends/tough choice

Big weekends/tough choice

A quick flick through the handbook doing some rough planning last night, it's interesting to see how some days/weekends have a surfeit of quality races on. A few standout examples:

6th April: Coledale Horseshoe, Howgills (English champs), Dungeon Ghyll, Pendle
    27th April: 3 Peaks, Mourne Highline (Brit champs) - then on the Sunday - Kinder Downfall and London Marathon.
    3rd August: Borrowdale, Creag Dubh (Brit Champs)
    7th September: Grisedale Horseshoe (Eng champs), Ben Nevis, Braemar gathering (race for the Queen, and a fair wedge!)

Elsewhere, 3 shires clashes with the final English champs race again. The good thing is most of these races have enough of a following to survive on the same weekend as a big competitor, maybe spreading the field across a few races means everyone's happy and gets a run! And for your smaller more local races happening on the same day there's a chance of a newer face to get a good result (or get hoovered up by a gnarled pot hunter with a taste for cheap wine!)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I suspect that you have not turned down any cheap wine?

oh no. Red = spag bol; white = risotto. Freeze it in to ice blocks for future reference.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

June is usually a congested month.... Welsh 1000, Duddon, Ennerdale, Buttermere, Great Lakes, and I'm sure a few others.

For myself this year I'm doing a couple of different ones in June.... Welsh 1000 (as usual), then Tenerife Bluetrail, then Lakes 5 Passes (which clashes with Great Lakes Champs race), then possibly Snowdon uphill (clash with Buttermere).

September also a good one every year.... Stretton Skyline, Ben Nevis, LDMT, Peris, Black Mountains, Grisedale, all vying for your entry....

What about the other way round?

Is there a weekend when finding a race is a challenge? Suppose this depends where you live.....