Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best mountains you viewed

Best mountains you viewed

Come on guys, all well and good with arguing the best beach you've been on...
    ...but was this not meant to be an FRA forum?
    So here we go: what's the best moutain group, in the whatever sense you decide to give to the terms "best" and "mountains group", you visited in real?

As for me, is prob the Puez-Odle in the Dolomites in North-East Italy.
    Here some of my fav pic of the Odle. Hard to believe but I promise when you get nearer they look ever better.
    https://www.vivosuedtirol.com/it/par...ali/puez-odle/

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    OK, you might consider me a bit sad to suggest a group of "mountains" that reach the grand height of 522 metres, but I think the Lomond Hills in Fife are hard to beat, for their distinctive shapes and the impressive way they rear up above the flatlands of the Howe of Fife. Having only previously lived in Essex, London and Bedfordshire, I went to university at St Andrews in the so-called Lowlands of Scotland, and I remember the first time I travelled west along the A91 (on my way to my first orienteering event), being gobsmacked by the sight of the cliffs rising a few miles to the south, topped by the "Paps of Fife".

And I never got tired of going up onto these hills in the 7 years (4 as a student, 3 as an employee) that I spent at St Andrews. The views from the tops are incomparable. If you are on top of a mountain in the Highlands, all you can see is other mountains, and maybe some sea. But from the Lomonds, you get a panorama of mountains and hills, farmland, cities and villages, and the sea; from Lochnagar in the North to the Moorfoots in the South, from the Trossachs in the West to the great sweep of coastline in the East.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Hard to name a "best" as different mountains / hills grab you in different ways, all for different reasons.
    Over the past 5 summers I've forensically explored the W coast of Ireland; there are many hills and ranges of hills (2000 - 2500 feet) over there that are truly attractive ...... but no more so than many hills in the NW of Scotland?
    In 2002 we visited the Rockies, USA. I was very impressed with Triple Divide Peak in Montana. From its summit waters flow; W to the Pacific Ocean; NE to Hudson's Bay and SE to the Gulf of Mexico.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I've not really ventured to many mountainous locations outside of the UK, but of those I've been to, the White Mountains in Crete are pretty stunning.

I suspect my June trip to Tenerife might be a future contender.

Master
    In the UK it has to be the Fisherfield round while campervanning based in Kinlochewe.

The Eiger whilst campervanning in Lauterbrunnen was pretty good but far to busy compared to the Fisherfield Round

Blue Mountains in Australia again not bad.

TBH any mountain range I have visited has been great but the Fisherfield Wilderness is by far my favorite.
    The older I get the Faster I was

The Rhinogs would be high upon my list if only for the fact there is a good chance of not seeing anyone!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    The Rhinogs would be high upon my list if only for the fact there is a good chance of not seeing anyone!
    Mine also, especially the northern section from Roman steps. Nobody there plus a bit gnarly.

Super Moderator
    Either the Yosemite valley or Ilkley Moor

The view from Stac Pollaidh up north of Ullapool was pretty breathtaking as well... pure wilderness. Although for outright beauty, the top of Ben Nevis on a perfect day takes some beating. Water and mountain as far as the horizon in every direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Either the Yosemite valley or Ilkley Moor
    Mmmh. Yosemite is a bit overrated in my view - and some of the people you meet there aren't worth the journey either!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".