Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best mountains you viewed

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Probably just scrape into the mountains category but the hills of Hoy hold a certain fascination for me.

Suilven and practically anything in far NW of Scotland also has to be up there.

Of the Lakes, anything from Langdale North and west does it for me, Borrowdale, Newlands, Ennerdale and Buttermere being particular favourites.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Probably just scrape into the mountains category but the hills of Hoy hold a certain fascination for me.
    Yes, especially the way you can do over 1000 feet of ascent in practically zero horizontal distance on the west side of the island.

I spent three nights at Hoy Youth Hostel in 1992. My company in the YH included 8 young composers at a Summer School organised by Hoy's most famous resident, Sir Peter Maxwell Davies. I happened to be there during their last three nights (it was unplanned, as were most of my holidays in those days). I attended the concert in the village hall on the last evening, where their compositions were played by a professional string quartet. Afterwards, I walked up Ward Hill (highest point in Orkney); it was about 10pm when I set off (without a torch); you can do that in those northerly latitudes in Summer! I didn't get much sleep that night, due to the young composers' celebrations.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Yes, especially the way you can do over 1000 feet of ascent in practically zero horizontal distance on the west side of the island.

I spent three nights at Hoy Youth Hostel in 1992. My company in the YH included 8 young composers at a Summer School organised by Hoy's most famous resident, Sir Peter Maxwell Davies. I happened to be there during their last three nights (it was unplanned, as were most of my holidays in those days). I attended the concert in the village hall on the last evening, where their compositions were played by a professional string quartet. Afterwards, I walked up Ward Hill (highest point in Orkney); it was about 10pm when I set off (without a torch); you can do that in those northerly latitudes in Summer! I didn't get much sleep that night, due to the young composers' celebrations.
    Lovely story. Slightly better than my 2 nights in a campervan in a howling gale last year!
    It was a case of batten down the hatches and break out the Highland Park. Still managed a run up the hill though when the wind had died down.

For me Macchapuchare (also known as Fishtail) in the Annapurna region of Nepal. Viewed from any angle and altitude it's simply stunning. The Annapurna group itself is very impressive but Macchapuchare just steals the show. In Europe it has to be the Mont Blanc massif. It's been photographed a million times but the view from Lac Blanc in the Aiguilles Rouges sends tingles up my spine since the first time I cast eyes on it. I took this picture last summer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do what you like, like what you do

Slioch
    Last edited by Witton Park; 07-01-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Another vote for Rhinogs from me but also a shout out for the Glen Rosa horseshoe on Arran. I'll never forget the first time I saw it, having summitted Goat fell from the gentile Brodick side. The contrast was stunning. Totally unexpected vista of a shattered and rugged terrain that looked like something out of the Lord of the Rings!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Wheeze, I totally agree about Glen Rosa.
    I recall having to abandon a wild camp, (as they call it nowadays), in darkness out of Glen Rosa due to being eaten alive by midges!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog