Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter BGs 2019

Winter BGs 2019

I hear the women's winter record went a few weeks back, Sabs Verjee in 21 something - anyone with actual data.

Looking at Strava Tom Gibbs went today, leg 4 time of 3:34 looks a good pace. Any info on a finish time?!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Super Moderator
    Heard he was off Robinson a while ago. Not very exact eh?

Who needs cold hard facts when you can have rumour and conjecture?

Just under 20:20. by the looks of things.

Super Moderator
    Never let truth get in the way of a good post as Graham might have not said quoting someone we’ve probably not come across before

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Never let truth get in the way of a good post as Graham might have not said quoting someone we’ve probably not come across before
    Now aint that the truth!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Am I right in thinking Tom was running solo? 20:20ish is a great time whatever

I saw a strava that suggests he had support on L4 at least.

Ah, that makes sense. I was going up to High Raise today from Thunacar and a solo runner came in the opposite direction. Must have been Tom.

bit more info from Faceache. Putative mid-winter record for Tom Gibbs. Fully supported and a write-up:

>>Phew, where to start. Had a go at a Mid-Winter Bob Graham yesterday (it seemed like a good idea at Xmas !!). Got round in 20:20 which I believe is a new Mid-winter record.
    Overall it was a pretty brutal experience that I don’t want to repeat !
    Leg 1 started well, steady pace and brilliant support from Steve Birkinshaw, though I forgot my water bottle ! Top of skiddaw was slippy with ice and very cold. Got to Threlkeld in just over 3 hours.
    Get support from Steph Jones’s both Threlkeld and Dunmail. Hugely appreciated and sorry if I didn’t eat all the bacon.
    Leg 2 I was well supported by Dan Duxbury and Ian Palmer. Got well togged up for the tops as again it was very cold and the clag meant plenty of nav and slowed us down. It was on this leg that I felt really sick and couldn’t get much food down which came back to haunt me.
    Got to Dunmail after 7 hrs and still feeling sick. Headed off on Leg 3 with Josh Hartley who gets the award for best supporter looking after me when I was struggling by himself. We had good conditions across to Rossett Pike and I started to feel better. Up on Bowfell it was very cold and icy, staying like that all the way to Scafell Pike, with all the ice about we dropped to Foxes gully and (ice) climbed up to Scafell. Good descent to Wasdale and great to see a lot of jolly faces !
    Great support in the transition from Astrid Gibbs then I was off on Leg 4 with Rob Browne, Jack Wright and Ben Abdelnoor.
    Comedy award of the day goes to Jack for bringing poorly wrapped Salmon Paste Sandwiches in a mostly empty rucksack - must of taken him a while to clean that mess up !!!
    Lots of banter got me up Yewbarrow. I really struggled from here onwards with the lack of food and no desire to eat really kicking in. Got to Gable just at dark and wasn’t long until Honister.
    Here again great support from all involved and Got to run with Astrid and Sabrina Verjee on the last leg. Slow but kept going just trying to eat. Great surprise dropping off Robinson to meet Chris Hope who had rode up to meet us.
    Was so happy to get to the Moot Hall and finish.
    The amazing support really got me through it and now I am enjoying my second breakfast of the day (and not last)