Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spine 2019

Agreed on that JohnK

After a particularly fraught journey up to Marsden (why has J23 of the M62 got no exit westbound?!) which resulted in 20mins spent driving around Saddleworth/Standedge, I can confirm the conditions tonight are pretty horrible. Saw a lady crossing the Standedge road on the Challenger, head down into the wind. Hope they stay safe tonight...

Jim Mann absolutely streets ahead and closing in on the finish.... however appears to have strayed off course and now correcting his mistake to get back on course...

I wonder if they'll let it pass, on the basis that he took a parallel track and there was certainly no advantage... or will they send him back out to run that section again?!? (this is all assuming the trackers are giving off correct info).

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I wonder if they'll let it pass, on the basis that he took a parallel track and there was certainly no advantage...
    Is that the rule they have to follow the prescribed route?

I believe it is.

I think the rule on accidental deviations from the route are quite flexible though... something like you must reverse back, or get yourself back on route at the soonest opportunity, and if you've gained any accidental advantage, then you have to go back to where you left the PW (don't quote me on any of this, it's a while since i read the rules... i might even be getting mixed up with the rules for compulsory sections on the Dragon's Back!)

He did appear to miss a turning and take a parallel track for a distance, but it was overall a little longer, he was quite literally miles ahead of 2nd place, and well inside the course record, so looks like they let it go.

Jasmine Paris still going strong with Eoin and Eugene. About to get interesting as they've hit the 2nd checkpoint, so will any of them take a rest?
    Last edited by Travs; 14-01-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Looks like Eoin has taken the opportunity to rest... Jasmine has gone out hard, most likely in an attempt to lose Eugene before it gets dark.

Interesting, but my gut feeling is good tactical move by Eoin.

So, the fact that Konrad was running the Trigger, does that mean that Jasmine is pushing Rowan along in an all-terrain buggy?

No idea on that one GeoffB, but the speed she is moving would suggest not!

Well Eoin is back out again, and about 4 miles behind. He obviously knows what' he's doing, who am i to question, but if he's stopped for an hour, surely it would have been better to stop for a bit longer and get a solid 3 or 4 hours sleep 'in the bank'....?

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    a solid 3 or 4 hours sleep 'in the bank'....?
    I don't think he works like normal human beings. I remember reading the report of his win a couple of years ago and at one stage he just lay down on the side of the path to have 15 minutes sleep to get him over a low point.

Facebook reporting that he's 'banked' an hours sleep. I assume he feels that's enough to get him to Middleton or even Alston.

Phenomenal.

I remember Pavel and the Spanish chap had to take a time penalty two years ago for an accidental short cut. They had to stand in a hallway with all their gear on for I think it was 10 minutes :-) Bold boys!!!
    Quote: "Pain is weakness leaving the body"