Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Spine 2019

Jim Mann tried this approach last year - in his first attempt at a non-stop multi-day race he went out hard and with little sleep but injury curtailed his attempt. It's good to see this approach work, also for someone making their first attempt at a multi-day non stop race! Maybe a paradigm shift for these big long events?

Eoin said in one of the videos that the course is in the best condition he's seen it, so less surprise that the record went.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Eoin said in one of the videos that the course is in the best condition he's seen it, so less surprise that the record went.
    My son does white water canoe slalom, so I am now very aware of river levels, which, stating the obvious, are a direct indicator of the amount of rain fall. They have had a very frustrating winter with the river levels being so low. The conditions on the hills must reflect that to a certain degree.
    It has been a pleasure to follow the progress of Jasmin and the Irish pair Carol and Eoin, plus all the others.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Front page of the guardian website
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...e-ultrarunning

My brother's review of the BBC interview

"She too modest and BBC interviewer was a clown"

I see BillJ has retired at Alston

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba
    I see BillJ has retired at Alston
    So disappointed at the moment. I had picked up after feeling rubbish for the first couple of days, and was looking forward to Hadrians Wall, Bellingham and the Cheviots.
    But I tore either my achilles or calf a few hours after Alston. Briefly contemplated (in the brain-dead way you do) whether I could hobble at 1 hour/mile and make the cutoff time. The answer was no, so hobbled back to the last road crossing, got a lift back to Alston and retired. :-(
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    So disappointed at the moment. I had picked up after feeling rubbish for the first couple of days, and was looking forward to Hadrians Wall, Bellingham and the Cheviots.
    But I tore either my achilles or calf a few hours after Alston. Briefly contemplated (in the brain-dead way you do) whether I could hobble at 1 hour/mile and make the cutoff time. The answer was no, so hobbled back to the last road crossing, got a lift back to Alston and retired. :-(
    Oh well, you're still my hero!

"...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Harsh breaks Bill, strong effort up until then

"Eoin said in one of the videos that the course is in the best condition he's seen it, so less surprise that the record went."
    I should point out this isn't saying "oh the course was fast that's why Jasmin broke the record", more that whoever the winner was would stand a good chance of breaking the record. That Eoin was 3h off his previous best acts somewhat as normalisation and shows it for what it is - fantastic!

It's good to see national press pieces on Jasmin's achievement appearing in the sports sections and not (as has been the case with ultra/fell running articles in the past) in the 'Lifestyle' sections.

Master
    She was also interviewed on Woman's Hour this morning and Jeremy Vine this afternoon - even the normally awful Vine managed to sound impressed!