Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gps watches

Hi,
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm also looking for a new GPS watch, with a long battery life to cover ultras.
    I am considering the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak, for a proven budget option, but interested that Mark G comment is to avoid older Suunto models.

Any other suggestions of previous years models that could do the job around the 150 pound mark?
    Many thanks

I've recently bought a Garmin Instinct (bought for £220 but current price is around £270) as it had breadcrumb navigation following a gpx trail. It also has some cool features such as an in-built compass. I've only used it on a 31 mile 6 1/2 hr ultra (Punkpanther Welcome Way) and there was loads of battery life left after that (Garmin claims 16hrs). I had the optical heart rate turned on all the time & if you disable that then you will extend the battery life as well. DC Rainmaker has done a good review (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/10/...th-review.html)

Quote Originally Posted by asutton709 View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm also looking for a new GPS watch, with a long battery life to cover ultras.
    I am considering the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak, for a proven budget option, but interested that Mark G comment is to avoid older Suunto models.

Any other suggestions of previous years models that could do the job around the 150 pound mark?
    Many thanks

nikkij
    After personal use and good user experience, I can suggest you to purchase the smart products from https://netgears.support/netgear-genie-supportand also get home services for device issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
    I've recently bought a Garmin Instinct (bought for £220 but current price is around £270) as it had breadcrumb navigation following a gpx trail. It also has some cool features such as an in-built compass. I've only used it on a 31 mile 6 1/2 hr ultra (Punkpanther Welcome Way) and there was loads of battery life left after that (Garmin claims 16hrs). I had the optical heart rate turned on all the time & if you disable that then you will extend the battery life as well. DC Rainmaker has done a good review (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/10/...th-review.html)
    I've just bought a Suunto Ambit 3 Vertical from sports pursuit for £147. I'm aware that there are some problems with the movescount app but at that price I was happy to take a punt. I've never used GPS watch before so it's all new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by asutton709 View Post
    Hi,

Many thanks
    I bought one of these and am very pleased with it so far. My only gripes are the buttons although locked change the display screen, which is very annoying if using the breadcrumb trail and climbing up steep terrain.
    Secondly there is no vibrate function. I thought this wouldnt be a problem but this was very useful for intervals and reminding me when to eat on longer runs.
    anyway a good option and lots on ebay at the moment. got mine for AROUND 100
    cheers

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Have a TomTom runner at the moment but that is on its last legs and it no longer connects to my phone.

Would like GPS tracking, Android app (with Strava sync), message notification, compass, 50m waterproof, good battery life, will stand up to normal fell running activities and preferably has a barometric altimeter. Don't want to pay more than £200 unless its really worth the extra money.
    I'm looking at the Garmin 235 or Vivoactive 3. Any experience of either or any other recommendations?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Suunto Ambit 3 Run, PeteS.
    Can be got for under £200 if you shop around (I got a free HRM!).
    Very impressed with mine.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Thanks - I'll add it to the list. Do you find the screen easily readable in low light?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    Suunto Ambit 3 Run, PeteS.
    Can be got for under £200 if you shop around (I got a free HRM!).
    Very impressed with mine.
    They have an Ambit3 on Sportpursuit at present for 149 quid although it says multi sport?? Whatever that means, I’ve got one and find it good although only ever really used it to track distance not for any of the fancy stuff it does, Mrs DTR likes me to download our long runs so she can instagram them

Master
    I have a Garmin Fenix 5 - quick to pick up satellite signals, long battery life, water proof, lots of data - cadence and so on - BUT every week or two it will suddenly drain its battery to close to zero for no obvious reason - so I have to check it every morning well before a run just in case it needs emergency charging. When the Climbers Shop in Ambleside were selling GPS watches they recommended this over any Suunto - but their advice may have changed recently.