Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin C

Banned
    Hi, based on what I read and by our doctor's advice, Vitamin must be present in our diet everyday. It might be its sources or it may be taken as a supplement. It is important in preventing sickness such as colds and even cancer.

This is a serious question, posted in the health section.

thanks

Right, first off, if you are healthy and not seriously overdoing the exercise, there is very little, if any, evidence that Vitamin C will help prevent colds (Cochrane Review; basically a big statistical analysis of all the different randomised medical trials). However, if you are subjecting yourself to intense exercise (ie ultramarathon training) there is evidence that Vit C will decrease your risk of getting a cold. These studies used less than 1 g a day - where the 3000mg or 3g per day figure comes from I have no idea - but as vitamin C is water soluble all this will do is enable you to have pretty high vitamin levels in your wee. Above 1g/day only about 50% of vitamin C is adsorbed anyway, so you may as well tip half your extra high dose down the sink and cut out the middle man. The RDA of 60mg/day is higher than the amount calculated that you need to prevent scurvy by about 30% and is based on a healthy adult male. Smokers are also recommended to increase Vit C intake, but not half as much as various health supplement manufacturers would have you believe. So if you are doing the odd ultramarathon/ very strenuous training then Vitamin C may well decrease your risk of getting a cold, but it won't rule it out entirely, and there is no need to take anything like 3g day.
    Last edited by siwucha; 09-12-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Too much vitamin C or zinc could cause nausea, diarrhea, and stomach cramps! According to The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library, the tolerable upper limit for vitamin C is 2,000 mg per day, or 2 g. Anything above this amount could be considered as an overdose.

I take a lot more than 2g of vitamin C a day and feel fine. It causes me no ill effect. Take it with bioflavonoids because this helps the body utilize it.

Banned
    Hi, we always have vitamin C at home for sickness prevention also because we do be believe to take a tablet at least once a day to make us feel better everyday and likewise it could prevent us from getting colds.
    Last edited by computergeek; 11-02-2015 at 04:13 AM.

I used to take vitamin C tablets but they didn't taste very nice. I was convinced that they made my colds get better. Then someone explained to me that it's a placebo effect, and after that I got better from colds anyway.

I worked out how much I was spending on vitamin supplements and used the money to go to see a hypnotherapist. He's convinced me that chocolate helps with colds, and now my colds always get better when I take chocolate. I also think I'm getting fewer colds.

The downside is I've had to cut back on fresh fruit and vegetables to pay for the dental bills.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I used to take vitamin C tablets but they didn't taste very nice. I was convinced that they made my colds get better. Then someone explained to me that it's a placebo effect, and after that I got better from colds anyway.

I worked out how much I was spending on vitamin supplements and used the money to go to see a hypnotherapist. He's convinced me that chocolate helps with colds, and now my colds always get better when I take chocolate. I also think I'm getting fewer colds.

The downside is I've had to cut back on fresh fruit and vegetables to pay for the dental bills.
    He's talked you into a racing diet of cheese and port too by the sounds of it. I've started eating broccili for it's repairative agents, it also has more vitamin c than other stuff. The downside is the farting; i go through about 2/3 broccili heads a week which has a noticable effect on flatulence. During my 1hr pilates class i'm constantly working the cheeks, but pilates teaches you tricks like that so i'm doing well so far and haven't yet released any air biscuits by mistake.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    He's talked you into a racing diet of cheese and port too by the sounds of it. I've started eating broccili for it's repairative agents, it also has more vitamin c than other stuff. The downside is the farting; i go through about 2/3 broccili heads a week which has a noticable effect on flatulence. During my 1hr pilates class i'm constantly working the cheeks, but pilates teaches you tricks like that so i'm doing well so far and haven't yet released any air biscuits by mistake.
    I should forget about this plank malarky for core strength. It sounds like broccoli is the way forward.

Is anyone taking Vitamin C this winter?