Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suunto warning.

Suunto warning.

Suunto are withdrawing movescount in 18 months time rendering thousands of early generation watches and dive computers obsolete. You'll be ok with some of the later ones and a smartphone but I for one will not give suunto the satisfaction of selling me a replacement for my perfectly working and more than adequate ambit.

Lots about this on suuntos own forum. Apparently numerous retailers and even suunto themselves are still selling watches that won't be functional in about 18 months. Also the ones that will work are likely to be linked to a mobile phone app, not a computer, so mapping, exercise data etc will only be accessible via small phone screen. If you have any suunto GPS watch it's worth having a look at their plans to see how or if it will be affected.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I also have an original Ambit (6 years old) which is still working well. If I have to buy a new watch because they have rendered it obsolete then it's safe to say it won't be another Suunto either.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Bollox, literally yesterday I bought a spartan ultra as I got a good deal on it and it would last a while. I guess now I know why they were on sale!

Quinny and ba-ba, it might be worth having a look on the suunto app forum if you haven't already. Lots of info on whats happening and speculation/suggestions on what might or might not. I understand that the Spartan will probably work with the new app, but that the new app will be less good than movescount. (Its available now if you want to try it) Some of us have asked suunto about the possibility of an offline movescount programme for windows that would enable us to continue using our early generation watches - entering waypoints(not that I have ever used it to actually navigate, my interest is more in post run analysis), customising screens, updating biometrics, viewing recorded routes etc, none of which we will be able to do once movescount finishes.In any case its a chance for you to see whats going on and make any views you have known to suunto - whether they will do anything about them is another matter of course.

cheers, I'm yet to get to grips with it so will venture that way soon.
    I'm not fussed about Movescount for analysis - quite happy with Attackpoint for that.
    Entering of Waypoints/routes will be what I use it for, though not for a race and only as back-up to a map and compass!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Bollox, literally yesterday I bought a spartan ultra as I got a good deal on it and it would last a while. I guess now I know why they were on sale!
    The Spartan Ultra is still supported. The difference seems to be around the way route planning etc. will work. There isn't a definite answer about this yet and I'm in the same boat as you. Seems at the moment like you may need to plot a route on a different service then transfer it to the app.

Ambit3 watches will have partial support still. Doesn't sound at the moment like they're keeping route planning for the Ambit3 but judging by the stink this is causing I can see this being fixed before Movescount gets swithed off.

I haven't got a Suunto, I have a Garmin. But I never use the Garmin software directly, I use Strava.

Is there a way the older devices can still upload to a 3rd party software like Strava?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I believe there are 3rd party, open source solutions for this......but may be wrong. I don't think this would allow for route planning etc. Just for extracting data from the watch.

Just received an e-mail from Suunto promising a solution that allows Ambit and Ambit2 to connect to Suunto app in the future. No further details yet at the moment but sounds promising. I'm pleased they seemed to have listened to the feedback.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club