Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lone run: staying safe

And if it's not been mentioned before, take a trusty whistle with you, an essential piece of kit for every fell runner.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

We (my wife and I) have iPhones and using the find iPhone app she able to see where I am (vice verse). The other week I went round Kinder the dark and fog and she was able to see, as she went to bed, that I was 3/4 way round and heading back to the car in Edale.
    This works for us, but has obvious limitations and relies on me sticking to the route I’ve told her; but she uses it as a reassuring measure when I’m out for long things rather than a tracker/rescue beacon.
    Last edited by felltrumpet; 27-01-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Bad grammar!

Thanks, BusyLizzie, for responding. Yes, it's the broken ankle far from base that makes me cautious. I have relatives - sons - but they don't live nearby and I feel it would be a bit of a load on the nearest one to text him each time I set out for a run and when I return, so hoped there might be alternatives. I'm grateful for all the responses here.

Ah, this looks most useful, thanks Don'tfearthesweeper! Just what I hoped existed. What a pity it's only available for iPhones when I have a Samsung. I'm sure the android version will appear soon.

Thanks for this suggestion, Ben Heathcote. I'll check it out.

Sounds like a good idea, felltrumpet, and useful to have it here for others with partners.

Yes; a whistle!
    Thanks for the reminder, bigfella.

999 call does need a signal but not necessarily on your network, it can operate on any network.

Emergency services will try and call back but they can only do this on your net work..

Text service also needs a net work but can get through when you briefly have a weak signal.

if you use os locate etc, you can use this to text location and send a message,

Personally when out on a long wild run in Scotland I send the route to my wife with times points(usually a summit) where I will text progress but also a finish time so she knows when I'm off the hill. If wife is away then I send it to a reliable mate.

I wouldn't leave message in a car that's asking for trouble but I may leave a note at a local police station saying my car is xxx and I'm going to xyz returning by ..TT.TT. I will call to say I'm back

A whistle - thar's such a good one, thank you!

...and knowing what signal to blow to say you need help?