Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Permissions for fell race

Bob Berzins (DP) has done a lot of access work in the eastern peak regards access and keeping on top of things. It may be worth getting some input/ideas from him as to how western peak district issues could be tackled? Of course this would need to be taken on by someone with the time/inclination to do so.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

It's disappointing to hear of this obstructive behaviour coming from Natural England. Where I live, a wealthy shooting syndicate has taken over a pheasant shoot which is mostly over SSSI land of incredible diversity and ecological sensitivity (NE have responsibility for all SSSI land). The syndicate has broken just about every SSSI rule by building illegal infrastructure along the river (shooting platforms, steps, concrete shooting platforms), bulldozing trees to make new tracks, felling trees etc - essentially turning the SSSI, a steep sided valley of ancient oak woodland into a shooting theme park infested by 30,000 pheasants. Despite many people contacting NE via e-mail and letters in the local press highlighting the breaches of the law, nothing has been done by NE in the 6 months since it all started. For them to block fell races when we all bend over backwards to protect the environment demonstrates a severe case of double standards . They claim to be underfunded, but a lot of the problem seems to be that the board is riddled with conflicts of interest (the pro-shooting lobby for starters) to the extent that their remit to protect SSSIs is meaningless.
    Last edited by ghost; 01-02-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Explore events' Peak Raid are no longer. Here's what they posted on Facebook. More preemptive than anything else.

Obtaining access for the Peak Raid events has become increasingly difficult due to recent requirements imposed by the Peak District National Park and Natural England amongst others, and whilst we have always manged to get permission, we’ve often been forced to make course changes very late in the day. For example at one event we only received permission the day before, despite working on it for 9 months. So far this hasn’t had a significant impact on the event experience but we feel it’s just a matter of time before it does, not to mention the toll it’s had on our nerves! The demands of staging the events aren’t getting any easier and we have less free time as our own professional lives have become busier, so it is with regret that we have decided to call it a day on Explorer Events, at least for the foreseeable future.

The Peak Raid events have become a great success with a fantastic Peak Raid community developing so we appreciate that many people will be disappointed to hear this but we feel it is best to quit while you’re ahead, and while we’re still proud of the events’ quality and popularity. So thank you all for your role in making 20 great events, 300 controls, 60 hours of fun, a possible 10,000 points and lot of tea & biscuits.

So is this the end of the 70 pointer? Well probably, however if you have a burning desire to carry the Peak Raid baton forward then we’re more than happy to discuss passing it on to somebody who appreciates its values and has a desire to see the events continue. Just don’t all rush at once!
    Over and out.
    Dave, Rich and all the Explorer Events team.

What a shame, the Peak Raid series were brilliant events,I'm really going to miss those.
    Do what you like, like what you do

I wonder if the Kong MMM series might expand their Peak District offering as some level of replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I wonder if the Kong MMM series might expand their Peak District offering as some level of replacement?
    I'm not sure. I think Alison dropped one of her Peak District events because of difficulties with access permissions. Still, I hope she does (expand the offering), as these events are about the only ones I can compete in these days.

Anotyher PEak District race bites the dust (for this year at least):

"Grin & Bear It - CANCELLED

Simon has had to cancel the race as it crosses a section of land that is an SSSI and is so wet the landowner feels it will be damaged"

Given that one of the main features of the race was traversing the 'Bog Monster' from cut gate, you feel this issue could always be a factor.

Fairly certain this (albeit with a different route, but still crossing the Bog Monster) was my first ever long race back in 2008.

After finally gaining a place in the High Peak Marathon...NT permissions are not forthcoming! Yet...
    Fingers crossed; I believe the organisers are working tirelessly to resolve, for which I'm very grateful.

We were discussing the other day at what point will people decide it's easier to "race" as a group of friends in non-organised non-events. As long as the land is access land or on paths, there would be no laws preventing this. Hopefully it doesn't come to this.

I’d like to see an expansion of Kong MMM into the Cheviots...