Thread: Steroids or surgery

Steroids or surgery

Hi folks,

I was after some reassurance. I've suffered from hamstring tendinopathy for about 2years and my running has pretty much totally stopped. I've tried physio and shockwave therapy and the PT recommended seeing a consultant. The consultant has recommended before surgery trying steroid injections. But I can seem to find good things said about the procedure! I'm sceptical that after 2years the injections are going to make much difference and am tempted to just go straight for surgery. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Try Chinese Acupuncture first. I'd be still sofabound if i hadn't given it a shot.
    Can't climb for toffee...

One other thing that springs to mind from my own experience is that if your body is in the stress response it won't heal shit. All resources will be diverted elsewhere. If you want to know if you are in the stress response or not the book 'Conscious Medicine' by Gill Edwards will solve it for you, and give you a background on the mind/body problem. Should be able to pick it up on ebay for under a tenner.

Chinese Acupuncture is part of the ancient Chinese medical system which has the mind as potentially being part of the problem, aswell as nutrition etc. The NHS gave me one clean bill of health after another, but in the Chinese model i was a car crash and about ready for the glue factory. Appointments cost 40-50 and you need 6-8 to know if it's going to work. Be ready for the cheese factor to go through the roof though; you're going to be hearing about Chi(Energy), Yin/Yang theory, Jing, Shen, softening, depletion, Arrogant Liver Fire...just roll with it, it's more powerful than most people will ever realise.

Other than that are you sure you've maxed out your friction massage? You can do it yourself in a variety of ways, i always favour Lacrosse balls. I never get stuck with that kind of stuff...voodoo flossing is also smashing for soft tissue release. I use a 4mins then wait 4 days schedule for friction work, the 4 days is required for clearing out the scar tissue so your 4min sessions only happen every 4 days.
    Can't climb for toffee...