Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steroids or surgery

Steroids or surgery

Hi folks,

I was after some reassurance. I've suffered from hamstring tendinopathy for about 2years and my running has pretty much totally stopped. I've tried physio and shockwave therapy and the PT recommended seeing a consultant. The consultant has recommended before surgery trying steroid injections. But I can seem to find good things said about the procedure! I'm sceptical that after 2years the injections are going to make much difference and am tempted to just go straight for surgery. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Try Chinese Acupuncture first. I'd be still sofabound if i hadn't given it a shot.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

One other thing that springs to mind from my own experience is that if your body is in the stress response it won't heal shit. All resources will be diverted elsewhere. If you want to know if you are in the stress response or not the book 'Conscious Medicine' by Gill Edwards will solve it for you, and give you a background on the mind/body problem. Should be able to pick it up on ebay for under a tenner.

Chinese Acupuncture is part of the ancient Chinese medical system which has the mind as potentially being part of the problem, aswell as nutrition etc. The NHS gave me one clean bill of health after another, but in the Chinese model i was a car crash and about ready for the glue factory. Appointments cost 40-50 and you need 6-8 to know if it's going to work. Be ready for the cheese factor to go through the roof though; you're going to be hearing about Chi(Energy), Yin/Yang theory, Jing, Shen, softening, depletion, Arrogant Liver Fire...just roll with it, it's more powerful than most people will ever realise.

Other than that are you sure you've maxed out your friction massage? You can do it yourself in a variety of ways, i always favour Lacrosse balls. I never get stuck with that kind of stuff...voodoo flossing is also smashing for soft tissue release. I use a 4mins then wait 4 days schedule for friction work, the 4 days is required for clearing out the scar tissue so your 4min sessions only happen every 4 days.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Oh dear. This is almost exactly my world currently! Been having physio since August with no benefit to the Proximal Hamstring Tendon (though helpful in other ways). Also pilates and other conditioning. PHT getting worse.... Just been referred for a ultrasound guided steroid injection into the sheath around the PHT. Also recommended is Nordic Hamstring exercise. Try googling it. Unfortunately I cant put weight on my left knee, so need to find an alternative.
    I was looking at some research re the injections: there seemed a good response for most, with some lasting benefits for some, and reassuringly, from the modest sample (60+) no-one reported a detrimental effect.
    Anyone out there have a good news story about recovering from Proximal Hamstring Tendonopathy? I'd love to hear it!!

Well my injections are finally scheduled probably at the same hospital as you Old Whippet (North Tyneside? Are you NFR?).

It's then 6weeks to decide whether the effect is beneficial or I get to elect to be chopped up...

re the injections: there seemed a good response for most, with some lasting benefits for some, and reassuringly, from the modest sample (60+) no-one reported a detrimental effect
    This is good to read as I'm unconvinced by their benefit.

What a coincidence! Yep - North Tyneside. I've lost hope with physio for this. Had an assessment 2 weeks ago with a helpful bloke who referred e on for the procedure. Not heard anything yet - did you wait long?
    I was NFR but left after persuading so many of my club (Derwent Valley Running Club) to come fell running, it felt wrong to rock up in a NFR vest.
    I'll be very interested to hear of your experience of the treatment.

I had the first injection (right side) yesterday. The consultant brought up some interesting things he said that the MRI (2016) and the current ultrasound didn’t show any abnormality which is a bit confusing. When trying to pinpoint the site for the injection he seemed to imply that pain was only just in the right location for the diagnosis and the treatment. He also said he sends about 20% if people away without injection! I’m going to try and get more detail next week when the left side is due to be injected.

I’ve started doing deadlifts in the last month and this seems beneficial. Also been using a really good posture video which has a lot of hamstring mobility which seems to help some.

Will update about improvements as time progresses

Good luck with your recovery Matthew.
    I had my ultrasound guided steroid injection approx 5 weeks ago. Scan showed tendon intact but with inflammation. Consultant reckons just a small amount of pathology gives a disproportionate amount of pain and impediment with tendon problems - whether it's Achilles, hamstring or tennis elbow.
    I would say significant improvement in pain when driving - now reduced to 'discomfort'.
    Tried a couple of miles running 2 weeks ago - disappointing. Will give it another go in a few days.
    Also doing Nordic exercises to strengthen - as well as lots of spinning, which doesn't hurt at all, and Pilates. Still hopeful, but not holding my breath....

Keep going chaps. One thing I would say is make absolutely sure your pelvic posture is normal. Chronic hamstring strains can result from a pelvis that has adopted an excessive rearward tilt resulting in a functional shortening of the hamstrings. And here's the interesting bit...this often arises in active men from a subconscious movement to 'offload' a cam deformity of the hip. Google femoroacetabular impingement to learn about this. Moral of the story...get your hips checked first as many sports people have this without knowing it.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth