Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lakes 42 place going

Do people usually cut the corner from Grisedale Tarn down towards Wythburn? I did it the other week as it looks like the obvious way on a map, but the ground was pretty horrible after the tarn and the descent was super steep down to pick up the forest track. Reckon I'll go down Raise Beck on the day to save the legs...
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Do people usually cut the corner from Grisedale Tarn down towards Wythburn? I did it the other week as it looks like the obvious way on a map, but the ground was pretty horrible after the tarn and the descent was super steep down to pick up the forest track. Reckon I'll go down Raise Beck on the day to save the legs...
    Having gone through the same dilemma in 2017, and made a right hash of it, i'd say your intention to go down the beck is the correct one...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Having gone through the same dilemma in 2017, and made a right hash of it, i'd say your intention to go down the beck is the correct one...
    Ok, ta. I also had a go straight up Place Fell. Strava gave 475m of ascent in 1km. Seemed like crazy hard work compared to Boredale Hause. That was on fresh legs too! Another route option I'll be filing under 'not on the day'.
    Geoff Clarke

There's another thread re this race a bit further down... this one is discussed in more detail.

I've done both in the race. General consensus is there's possibly a couple of minutes saving by going direct, even at that stage in the race. But the after-effects of such an effort more than negate those couple of minutes saved.

I went straight up Place Fell in the hot and sunny year of 2017. The sun was really beating down at that point. Even with multiple rest stops 'to admire the view' and many steps containing no forward motion but sideways stumbles instead, I still beat others who went the long way round. When the gradient eased at the left turn up the grassy gully to the trig point, I soon picked up speed. I wasn't aware of it taking too much out of me, probably thanks to my slow climbing. I seemed to manage OK after that all the way to the finish.

Having only run the race in 2017, when the biggest problem was the heat, all these stories of people finding themselves misplaced sound ridiculous. Famous last words.

I've been looking at a few of the route choice. From Grisedale I reckon you're best to commiting to either extreme. Either contour waaaay across and drop down to the church the same way you'll come out, or stick to the beck, maybe even running along the road if you don't mind getting a little bit run over. Going up Helvellyn and Place Fell, the direct lines cut so much distance I don't see how they can fail to be faster. I took neither in 2017 so I'm counting on those to take at least an hour off my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    Having only run the race in 2017, when the biggest problem was the heat, all these stories of people finding themselves misplaced sound ridiculous. Famous last words.

I've been looking at a few of the route choice. From Grisedale I reckon you're best to commiting to either extreme. Either contour waaaay across and drop down to the church the same way you'll come out, or stick to the beck, maybe even running along the road if you don't mind getting a little bit run over. Going up Helvellyn and Place Fell, the direct lines cut so much distance I don't see how they can fail to be faster. I took neither in 2017 so I'm counting on those to take at least an hour off my time.
    2017-2018 was the biggest contrast in race conditions I've came across. In 2017 i was borderline sunstroke and couldn't wear a shirt to work for almost a week due to the sunburn. 2018 was shortened and for anyone going up Place Fell without experience, perhaps life-threatening.

I think the short-cuts are potentially quicker if you 100% know the exact best line. The 'standard' paths are such fast going that any mistake on the shortcut negates the distance saving. As for the OCT up Helvellyn… i would consider myself a strong climber, but i lost time against slower runners who stayed on the path.

Place Fell direct is undoubtedly a saving in time of several minutes (perhaps even 5-10 for a very strong climber?) but after 30 miles has the potential to finish you off.

Although you will be significantly further up the field than me.

I'll be sticking to the main routes this year, and still aiming for a big pb on account of better fitness and experience.

I'm all mouth no trousers on this stuff. Make great plans ahead of race day then wimp out and bin them on race day. Plan A: find someone that looks like they know why they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    From Grisedale I reckon you're best to commiting to either extreme. Either contour waaaay across and drop down to the church the same way you'll come out
    Hadn't considered this, but it's definitely the most direct line. That said, it looks like it might get a bit interesting from Birkside Gill onwards.

Almost certainly won't be out this weekend. Not run for a couple of weeks with a calf strain. Tried a couple of km on Monday and it didn't go well. Gutted.
    Geoff Clarke

[QUOTE=Hank;648060]Hadn't considered this, but it's definitely the most direct line. That said, it looks like it might get a bit interesting from Birkside Gill onwards.

QUOTE]

Exactly... what is the distance saving... perhaps a km (5-6mins?)

That's 5-6mins less what you lose for the underfoot conditions (which are much inferior to the path), plus what you lose in unknown territory getting down to the car park.

In a race of such distance, i just can't see (at my level of racing) the benefits of this gamble.

n.b i should add that i did make a bit of an attempt at it in 2017, which didn't go well, which perhaps explains my bias!