Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lakes 42 place going

Did a bit of a recce yesterday of the first and last quarters of the route, namely askham > high st > patterdale > place fell and askham

After reading this thread I decided to give Place Fell direct a go, 55 mins from starkeys to the trig and quite frankly anyone doing that on race day deserves a medal, I'll be sticking to the "wimp" route on saturday

Also, thoughts on taking Swirral > Hole In The Wall after White Side? Likelihood it'll be based on conditions on the day but looking across from Place Fell yesterday it was looking like a good shout

Quote Originally Posted by dazthemook View Post
    Also, thoughts on taking Swirral > Hole In The Wall after White Side? Likelihood it'll be based on conditions on the day but looking across from Place Fell yesterday it was looking like a good shout
    That is a huge detour and i can guarantee you'll be the only one who makes that choice! It would mean a long climb back onto Helvellyn, then another climb back up onto Hole In The Wall.

Zig-zags off White Side into Glenridding valley, and back to Patterdale via Glenridding village and the road.

I toyed with the idea of trying this on a recce as it looks good on the map. I was dissuaded by thinking how long it'd take me to get back to the top of Swirral Edge from Whiteside. I reckon it's pretty much bang on a mile and getting on for 150m of climb. I'm guessing that'd take me 15ish minutes on the day depending on how knackered I am. 15mins down the zig-zags from Whiteside and I'd be past the steepest section and on the gentle run down to the mines, which is probably still further from Patterdale than the top of Swirral, but much easier going and definitely quicker and easier.
    Geoff Clarke

Fair one, looks good on paper and only ever been that way back east. Will go White Side to the mines, temptation not to stop in Glenridding for a pint not withstanding!

So that was excellent, exceptionally hard graft and I placed terribly. Loads to work on but already planning the next. Got Lakeland 5 Passes in June which should be canny too.

Winner came in 7.05 which is mindblowing to me, I was nearly double that!

Yep really enjoyed it, my first one of these type of things and loved the event and general atmosphere. Weather was pretty much perfect for it too. Liked the fact it felt okay to stand around eating and chatting mid way through a ‘race’ too!

So that was excellent, exceptionally hard graft and I placed terribly. Loads to work on but already planning the next. Got Lakeland 5 Passes in June which should be canny too.

Winner came in 7.05 which is mindblowing to me, I was nearly double that!
    Glad you enjoyed it. MrRTS ran it too. Furthest he has ever ran! He enjoyed it but from the half way point he couldn't eat anything. Gels and energy drink was ok but for that distance you need to be chewing on something. He had some peanuts at the last CP and he was still trying to swallow them 30 mins later haha. He had to stop on the way home to grab a burger as he was shaking. He is still tired today but no aches/pains or injuries. We have so much booked already for this year but he said he will give the series a go next year. The guy that won it was whoooooshhhhh!!
    We are both getting into the longer stuff this year. I have my 1st ultra (30 mile) on Saturday, The 3 Shires 30. Gulp! I've had my eyelashes done and my hair so if I appear on Helicopter 999 I won't embarrass the Club ;-)

Really enjoyable event - 2nd time running it, weather much kinder than last year, although the mist made the Grisedale Tarn bit quite tricky. There's a lot of time to be saved there if you cut across, but we went straight down the beck to keep it safe.
    Wasted some time trying to find the control at Angle Tarn, knew it was meant to be on the little island but could see 2 runners already there who couldn't find it, so got drawn to the tents beyond it to find a bemused wild camper and had to double back again - still took another few minutes and about 7 or 8 runners hunting to actually find it.
    Reckon can definitely trim some time off, 3 or 4 wrong route choices, and hope to try again next year

After reading this thread I decided to give Place Fell direct a go, 55 mins from starkeys to the trig and quite frankly anyone doing that on race day deserves a medal, I'll be sticking to the "wimp" route on saturday
    Where shall I go to pick up the award?

After death-marching far too early up Grisedale (where I was a bit shocked to meet Ken Sutor on his way back down after having called it a day around the environs of Grisedale Tarn) then death-marching even worse on the lo-o-o-ong drag up to the ice-cold summit of Helvellyn, I still dithered at the foot of Place Fell thinking shall I, shan't I? Oh, what the hell, go for it. I'd forgotten how long it is and how the gradient steepens even more and drags on after the left bend up the shallow drainage. The breeze had disappeared, the sweat was dripping off me and I seemed to be spending as much time in recovery rests as in making vertical progress. It all felt worthwhile when I was delivered precisely to the trig point, where it was flat calm, not a breath of wind. Amazing. Contrary to what you might expect, I didn't pay a price for the climb because I 'ran' pretty well to the finish. I didn't get overtaken after Patterdale. Looking at my split from Patterdale to Martindale Church, I have to move up 15 places to find a faster one. I know I leapfrogged a few who'd taken the long way round. It is worth it if you've got the bottle.

P.S. I passed between the recently planted Hawthorn trees on the lower slopes with their black buds on the verge of bursting into life. Nice work by those who planted them.

Travs, how did you go on?

For anyone interested, here are the photos I took on the day.