Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stretton Hills (2)

Stretton Hills (2)

Just a quick post re: entries so far.

Firstly thank you all for being sensible and not all rushing at once to get entries in during the first few minutes.

I've received a few emails along the lines of "I can't do the other short, can I have a guaranteed entry please?" The answer is no, but also, it won't matter anyway I don't think.

As of two minutes ago we're more than half way through the entry window and there are 304 entries on the pre-selection list. I don't think the race is going to fill up during this first entry window unless you're all being very restrained...

SO, if it doesn't, we will process entries received to the close of the first window, and we will re-open entries without the waiting list probably next Monday. From then on entries will be first-come, first served until we have filled the race. We will keep a small number of entries back for last minute guaranteed entry runners.

Thanks for all your entries!
    Jim T
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/

First Champs race tomorrow then, and the nearest it'll get to "home turf" for me on the fells...

Really looking forward to this. Line up is absolutely stacked.

Banned
    Anyone know who won?

Carl Bell/Nichola Jackson. All results on My Race Result website
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Good race and well organised. Thanks Jim.

A bit steep for me and my current winter training routine of lunchtime canal runs. I think I need a few more hills.

Mercia put on a fantastic event today.... from my amateur eyes, the event centre, registration, organisation of the start, marshalling, chip timing, live results, food.... everything was top notch and I think Mercia showed that Shropshire fully deserves to hold Champs events.

As for the course... how many short Champs races genuinely have route choices that split the field completely in two (or in 3 as was the case of the choice near the end).

As for myself... bit of a poor day overall, despite running solidly enough. Had set a target of a pb Champs position (previous best being 181st), and hopefully breaking into top 150.

Was thereabouts after the first climb and descent, but on the 2nd relentless climb I was struggling to hold position, let alone make up places like usual, and on the long fast section afterwards I didn't have a chance of pulling it back.

Still I reached the penultimate cp in what was around 160th place. A rival Mercia guy, who I knew would probably know the best line, took the direct descent into the valley... my study of the map had convinced me to stay high for a while and I went with it, but on reaching my descent point, I spotted Helen Elmore from a Dark Peak just in front... in a bout of stupidity I aboandoned my own choice and followed her group even further along the top, which in the event was a poor choice and was tough going. Some 10 mins later I reached the end, and found out that the Mercia guy I had split from had finished 3 minutes and 30 places in front of me... 192nd for me.

So my target was fairly realistic, but my execution of the plan let me down today...!

My New Zealand clubmate, who had endured a torrid final few miles in the Long Mynd Valleys a few weeks ago, showed his class over the shorter distance today.... despite running the very slippy, wet, muddy route in a pair of Roclites, he finished a stunning 31st, within 45secs of the likes of Rob Jebb and Ian Holmes... despite my encouragement I don't think he is inclined to complete enough qualifying races for a full score in the Champs, as he feels he won't be anywhere near competitive over the longer distances.

Great day out, weather was ferocious at times. I can only think that Shropshire and Mercia have enhanced their reputations as a genuine heartland of Fell Running.

Great race over the Stretton Hills today. They do always provide a bit of everything I think. I’m quite local to Stretton but just haven’t found the time to recce the course. (Shameful) so race day was my first run / race around. Studied the map to give myself a fair chance of some decent lines though and finished around the top 80 runners. Bloomin eck there’s so quick boys...and girls. Great to see so many different routes being taken. Quite refreshing. Cracking event and organisation.

Well ran Travs. Sounds like you gave it your all! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    It would be interesting to do this race in the opposite direction and compare the results.
    One step beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOT View Post
    It would be interesting to do this race in the opposite direction and compare the results.
    I expect it would be significantly slower in the opposite direction... my club-mate was knocking out that long gentle downhill section at 3:05/km pace.