Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Marathon Record?

New Marathon Record?

Has his Marathon record really been beaten or has Elliot Kipchoge just run a time trial over the distance in 1.59.40.?

A magnificent effort which ever way it is viewed.

In addition to the run two other things caught my eye.

Firstly INEOS being the main sponsor with even Chris Froome giving him a hug at the end and secondly Mo Farah not being among the elite runners helping with the pacing, or at least offering his support.

I wonder why!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Don’t know how to feel about it really...

Fantastic achievement by the fella, don’t think anyone can take that away. And I expect it will become as famous as Bannister’s 4-minute mile.... but no I don’t think he’s broken the world record.

All the lasers on the floor etc, a bit much for me... but that’s the world we live in nowadays...

Notwithstanding that, it was great to watch.

Some slight parallels with Jornet and the Bob Graham?

It’s the modern world, technology not withstanding he had to run the pace to break it, I’m sure if Bannisters record was taking place today the set up and all of the pomp involved would be the same.

Sorry to be pedantic but it isn't actually a marathon record, but rather, the fastest ever run over the marathon distance. As we saw there is quite a difference in the approach.

But tremendous achievement for a glorified Saturday Parkrun
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I share the mixed feelings. All the sponsorship and laser-guided pacers take the shine off it a little, but he ran every step of the way - well done him.

Running on telly doesn't really work - you can never tell just how fast they are going. 13mph for two hours is amazing. I was trying to explain this to my kids by telling them what distance I could run that speed for (maybe half a km) and what time they'd be get if they did a parkrun at that speed; and yet they're doing over 8 times the distance.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I saw a breakdown somewhere (though can't now locate) of the times he would set at marathon pace for all Olympic distances from 100m upwards to 10km etc. I would like to think I could match him up to 800 or maybe 1500 on a good day. 5km is way out of the question though... 🙄

68secs a lap, i'd be ecstatic to keep up for 800m, no way could I manage 1500m...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Oops slightly miscalculated. 🤭
    800 I could do but sub 4.30 for 1500 is way beyond me and always was.
    I could probably do it in a fell race descent though - does that count?

Master
    I have not checked, but according to the Indy: "Only five of the 51,363,611 5km Park Runs completed have been faster than the pace set by Kipchoge - with the marathon distance of 26.219 miles, 8.44 times further than the Park Run distance (3.11km)."

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    68secs a lap, i'd be ecstatic to keep up for 800m, no way could I manage 1500m...
    I once did a 400m in 67s. Another 105 copies of me as pacers would have got him round in the time he did.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges