Thread: Incoming!

Incoming!

Thought I'd join up and say hi!
    I have been running for about three months now - not sure what spurred the decision as I have been a cyclist for more decades than I care to admit, zero experience of running on tarmac or otherwise - but I bought a pair of Walshes from Pete Bland's on a recent visit to my see my Dad, and started plodding up and down the hills where I live (Basque Country) and the bikes have sat untouched since Boxing Day.
    Ignoring most advice, I started by going out four or five times a week on the 'fells', even entered a couple of local trail races, so I've had quite a wide range of niggles from lost toenails to unhappy achilles, and am currently resting/icing a Very Sore Knee, surprise surprise. So I've used the downtime to join the FRA and a club, Black Combe, which kind of makes sense as I visit family in South Lakes a few times a year and hope to get along for some club runs and of course to plod around at the back of any races up there, should the planets align.
    Next race is a 30k (here), which is double what I've run so far, and the time cuts seem pretty strict for me. Just over two weeks to get this knee sorted, then.

Well that was more than I was planning to write. Hope to see some of you on the tops, or at least on here answering my daft questions!
    Last edited by bob_summers; 07-03-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Hello Bob and good luck!

I have a club-mate who is a native of Northern Spain (albeit north-west Spain as opposed to the Basque region), and he is always talking about the local races "back home".

I'm personally doing a race this summer in Spain (ok Tenerife!)

The race you're signed up for would just sneak into AL category for a fell race, based on amount of ascent per mile, so will certainly be a challenge. My advice would be to run your own race... if you feel the need to walk the uphills when those around you are running, then don't let it worry you.

I would expect cycling has given you a great base of fitness to carry into running, particularly on the hills/fells. But what will need developing is the resistance to the attrition of running (as the lost toenails and various issues highlight!)

I personally find that fell running helps me avoid some of the repetitive injuries that my clubmates seem to suffer from (a road/track/xc club), but injuries sustained on the hills seem to be more 'interesting'!

Thanks Travs. 10 years here so I'm well on the way to being native, but still looking forward to getting some runs in back home at Easter.

The race may prove to be too much too soon... the pace to avoid getting DNF'd at the CPs is about 8:45/km - I run faster than that but not by much so I won't be able to afford too much walking. The first two CPs are no problem, the one at 24k worries me most, it comes after the big climb from the harbour to 440m. But it is not overly technical, and flagged, so unlikely to lose time getting the map out. There is a (neutralised) boat ride across the harbour at 8k, which must be quite novel!

I did carry a lot of cycling fitness over, I know they say it doesn't really translate but it did help at first. But I lost it quite quickly, going from 20h a week on the bike to about 6 or 7 running at very low intensity, then recovering from assorted tweaks and niggles. It has been, as you say, a war of attrition! Very little of that comforting DOMS ache, and plenty of angry tendons in the feet/ankles/knees - but at 44 I did expect it.

But very worth it so far. I know the local hills well from riding MTB, and you get a totally different perspective. The ridgeline-then-forest descent from Mt Jaizkibel is amazing on a bike, but on foot it lasts about an hour! Last week I stumbled upon a venue (?!) of 'bonebreaker' vultures feeding on a wild pony carcass - the sheer force of half a dozen of them taking flight (they're about 3m across) at close range was something I'd not have witnessed with a buzzing freewheel to scare them off!
    Hopefully I can at least start some gentle jogging again over the weekend.

Not often you'll see Walshes in the Basque mountains, but they exist! View off the top of Pagoeta shortly before my knee went weird.

Master
    Welcome Bob. I read your todays training post as well. All I can advise ( and I am injured too!!) is take it steady. Running does take a bit of time to adjust to and as a cyclist you might have strong quads, but running is very complex in the muscle groups used and the inter relationship of those muscle groups. By not all working together in harmony, injury or a feeling of uncomfortableness occurs easily. I should work on glutes, core strength and hip flexors as much as just crushing your thighs on a down hill!
    I would really build distance slowly and methodically. A 30 KM race so soon might be counter productive. Perhaps better to miss it for now?

Definitely the core.

When i got into regular hard rep/track sessions, i found that my hamstrings were slightly lacking as well (or at least that's where i really felt it in the following days).

Another area i really noticed when i started doing longer AL's and ultra type fell races... upper arms and shoulders... probably a combination of carrying a rucksack for longer distances, and extended periods of time engaging my arms to provide balance. Considering the sporting background i come from, and the amount of gym time i put in, this was a surprise...
    Last edited by Travs; 14-03-2019 at 02:14 PM.

I've been historically rubbish at doing core work Travs. Also have had a long battle with piriformis problems, lots of work gets it sorted then I lapse and back it comes.
    Corniceman, you are right I suspect. My physio cleared me to run on the flat but I'm terrible at following her orders , yesterday I did a 10k loop round a park trail with lots of wee climbs. Going up, ok. Descending steps, not bad. Running downhill, painful. I'll line up next Sunday and do the first 8k to the first CP. I can bail there if need be. The real priority is to build enough resistance to injury to enjoy running on the fells when I'm over. I did a few runs in the Lakes at new year and it was fairly miserable; hobbling over frozen tussocks has limited appeal when your feet and ankle tendons are protesting loudly.

Building a strong core is the key to success.