Thread: Thermal smock advise

Thermal smock advise

Trying to get a thermal smock to have in bag for emergency... wondering which is best
    INOV8 AT/C THERMOSHELL 1/2 ZIP or OMM ROTOR smock

Any recommendations?

Jane, i had the OMM Rotor Smock for a couple of years before i tore it beyond repair.

It is a fantastic piece of kit, but it is seriously warm, and i believe the only races i have ever resorted to wearing it are the always freezing Trigger, and last year's LM42 when the race was shortened due to the severity of the conditions. In anything less than seriously freezing conditions you will be very hot during a race.

Which i guess makes it pretty ideal for an emergency!

It is light enough to carry, but if you are talking about carrying during a race then you would need to consider the space it will take in your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Jane, i had the OMM Rotor Smock for a couple of years before i tore it beyond repair.

It is a fantastic piece of kit, but it is seriously warm, and i believe the only races i have ever resorted to wearing it are the always freezing Trigger, and last year's LM42 when the race was shortened due to the severity of the conditions. In anything less than seriously freezing conditions you will be very hot during a race.

Which i guess makes it pretty ideal for an emergency!

It is light enough to carry, but if you are talking about carrying during a race then you would need to consider the space it will take in your bag.
    Thankyou for the reply.
    It's to have in my small bag when I'm out on the hills on long runs on colder days, really just to carry with me incase something happens. Normally would have another layer in my bag but thought something like that maybe give more warmth, if required, and possibly take up less space and weight.

Just to add to the choice, I've got a Montane Fireball Verso Smock. It's absolutely brilliant! Packs up really small, but also packs a big punch as an emergency warm layer - or even just as a great soft-shell smock for walking on cooler days. It's comfortable enough to run in until you are warmed up, reversible and seems very tough. The fit is great and even the thumb loops work. It's also reversible, and having the quilted side out does genuinely make it a bit cooler.

I guess any well-made and designed primaloft and pertex smock is going to be similar performance wise though...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Another vote for the superb OMM Rotor. Its very warm for its light weight and squashes down to a reasonable size. It's always one of the first bits of kit that gets thrown in the van when I head for the hills.Whether you would fit it in a bum bag as well as waterproofs etc., not sure but worth a try. I can certainly fit it easily in a on a small running rucksack along with full kit, food and water.

Cool.... I think that will be the one. Cheers for the advise guys! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Jane. A View Post
    Trying to get a thermal smock to have in bag for emergency... wondering which is best
    INOV8 AT/C THERMOSHELL 1/2 ZIP or OMM ROTOR smock

Any recommendations?
    The OMM rotor/rosa jacket is much the best of those two for emergency use and for wearing at, for example, the over night camp at MMs. I've had one for years and like others on this thread have said, it's very warm and consequently I've only been able to wear it once for running - it's just too hot, for me.

Last year I was tempted by a crazy offer on Wiggle for the Inov-8 thermoshell, as I'd been looking for something that I could actually wear while running in the winter, and which stashed really small. Seeing it offered for under £50, I went for it and it's lighter insulation compared to the OMM means I get much more use out of it than the OMM rotor, which now hangs in the cupboard mostly. I'd never have paid the RRP for one though, they' re just not worth it. So, Rotor for emergencies, Thermoshell for value for money (if its sold at a massive a discount, which usually happen every year when a new model colour scheme is introduced - tsk!). Sorry if that confuses things a little for you. Either one of these, at the right price, would be really great.

https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/bu...ll-hz_4686.htm
    Am Yisrael Chai