Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using photos to navigate

Using photos to navigate

I've just had an e-mail from some-one asking if they can use photos on their phone to help with navigation during a fell race. Anyone come across this before? Any thoughts?
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Not much use in the clag!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Photos of a map presumably? Digital generation 🙄

I'm not sure if they mean a photo of the map which I think would be ok or actual photos of the route from a recce which I'm unsure about. I'm trying to clarify with them.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Be good to find out what they mean and why. They would have to also carry and be able to use a map and compass as well though.

I have used Google Earth screenshots once or twice while recceing but I do not think photos will be much use in a race. In a navigation type event this could amount to cheating (?). As said, map and compass is best!

Suppose they are tying to ensure they correctly identify a particular landmark when they get to it. Obviously done the work on reccies to be down to that level of detail, I would not have a problem.

Meant to update on this earlier. I did clarify and they meant photos of the map so they could enlarge them and see it without having to put their glasses on. I would say this is ok even though it is using an electronic device to aid navigation. I'm still unsure whether using photos of landmarks would be ok or not. The current wording seems to allow it though:

“If a race is classified ‘non-GPS’ (NG) then the use of any electronic device to delineate a route, to display current position on a map, or as a compass, will be prohibited."
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Just found this on the Facebook page "The Kit Requirements for FRA Races are further clarified in respect of the fact that maps must be on paper. A conventional compass must be carried in addition to this."

So I was wrong to say that it is ok to look at a photo on a phone. As it happens the competitor involved brought a blown up copy of the map anyway.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Quote Originally Posted by Quinny View Post
    Just found this on the Facebook page "The Kit Requirements for FRA Races are further clarified in respect of the fact that maps must be on paper. A conventional compass must be carried in addition to this."

So I was wrong to say that it is ok to look at a photo on a phone. As it happens the competitor involved brought a blown up copy of the map anyway.

FRA Calendar 2019 page 13 Bottom line
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".