Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using photos to navigate

What about a print-out of a picture of their phone with a map on it?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    What about a print-out of a picture of their phone with a map on it?
    Like a meat-eater using beef to make something that tastes like a Vegan meat-substitute?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Or a picture of a usb-stick with a map on it?

https://www.independent.ie/entertain...-36295999.html

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    FRA Calendar 2019 page 13 Bottom line
    There are some people who do fell races that do not have a copy of the calendar Graham. Is the info you reference on the FRA website as well?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    There are some people who do fell races that do not have a copy of the calendar Graham. Is the info you reference on the FRA website as well?
    It's in the same section ie at the end of FRA Requirements for Race Organisers and immediately before FRA Rules for Competition.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Note: FRA Mandatory Minimum Kit (for Long A, Medium A and Long B races) comprises: waterproof whole body cover (with taped seams and integrated attached hood) + hat + gloves + map + compass + whistle + emergency food. Maps must be on paper. Compass must be conventional non-electronic type

If a runner chooses to use an electronic map, or has some photos on a phone to assist, I think it would be odd, but it seems permissible, so long as they have a paper map with them.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

If a runner chooses to use an electronic map, or has some photos on a phone to assist, I think it would be odd, but it seems permissible, so long as they have a paper map with them.
    That may be true, but if a runner is using his phone to navigate it would be very difficult for anyone else to be sure that he was not using GPS. Therefore it seems to me better to avoid the appearance of breaking the rules even if you are not actually doing so.

That was my conclusion too as long as they aren't using their phone to tell them their exact location. I agree it is odd which is why I posted
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

I have OS 25,000 scale maps on my Android Phone using the app Alpine Quest. It is excelent, even with the GPS turned off is is so handy having the maps on such a simple small device. In howling wind and rain on top of a mountain it would have certain advantages.

....and such simple small devices are never likely to be compromised by water ingress in foul weather when you will be navigating, trying to wipe the screen clean so you can see it.
    A circular route mostly downhill