Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kit conundrum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kit conundrum

Firstly, I apologise if this has already been done to death, but it's something that has been frustrating me for a while.
    FRA kit requirement. You'd think it was so simple, after all, there's a download on the site which is pretty in depth. Why then, does it cause such confusion, not just with runners, but seemingly RO's?!
    My understanding - and correct me if I'm wrong...
    MANDATORY (must be, has to be, got to be) kit applies to all AL, AM, BL races.
    BEST PRACTICE (advised, good idea to, not mandatory) kit applies to other categories.
    RO MAY (can if they want) enforce other kit rules at their discretion.

So. The last two races I have done. Hope Winter - category BM. Wolf's Pit - category AS.
    From the FRA rules, I would have guessed that you could carry kit, but that it would not be compulsory? However...
    Hope Winter - On the website for this race, the RO declares that 'full body cover (taped seemed waterproofs, hat and gloves) will need to be either carried or worn'. If this were a RO decision, then I've no issue, but it was stated that this was to comply with FRA rules? Surely the 'rule' doesn't apply to this race as it is category BM?
    Wolf's Pit - On the website/Facebook page etc, there is no mention of kit requirements. However, before the start, a kit check was announced. If the RO hasn't previously declared a kit requirement, surely there isn't one? What happens if anyone is found not to be carrying kit? This is a category AS.

Super Moderator
    Put everything you’re ever likely to need in your car (even full kit ain’t a lot is it?). Go to the race start and pack you bumbag when you’ve confirmed what’s needed (and considered if you need extra for your own peace of mind). Don’t forget to thank any marshals you pass and the organiser before you go home. Fellrunning - the simplest sport ever?

I've carried full kit in both races - I'm a mid-field runner with dodgy limbs, so it makes sense to me on a personal level. The merit of kit isn't the issue though - the issue is why the 'rules' seem to be open to interpretation, and what happens if you contravene them?

When you go to a race where kit is not necessarily mandatory in all conditions (i.e AS, BM, etc)

But you see a sign, or are told "FRA kit regulations"

The decision has (as stated in the rules) still been made by the race organiser... It's just basically a simple and interchangeable way of letting you know what they require you to carry. The premise being that everybody should be well aware what FRA kit is.

I don't think it means that the written rules have changed and you therefore have to carry full kit at every AS, BM, race...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    When you go to a race where kit is not necessarily mandatory in all conditions (i.e AS, BM, etc)

But you see a sign, or are told "FRA kit regulations"

The decision has (as stated in the rules) still been made by the race organiser... It's just basically a simple and interchangeable way of letting you know what they require you to carry. The premise being that everybody should be well aware what FRA kit is.

I don't think it means that the written rules have changed and you therefore have to carry full kit at every AS, BM, race...
    Ok. So Wolf's Pit - nothing on the website, nothing on Facebook to say that the RO was making any kit requirement. FRA rules don't enforce kit. I travelled over an hour to get to the race - what if I'd not bothered to take kit, and then a sign at registration says 'kit required'? I get that kit is a good idea, I get that taking kit is a good idea 'in case', but surely there shouldn't be this kind of variable right up to the off?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsloth View Post
    Ok. So Wolf's Pit - nothing on the website, nothing on Facebook to say that the RO was making any kit requirement. FRA rules don't enforce kit. I travelled over an hour to get to the race - what if I'd not bothered to take kit, and then a sign at registration says 'kit required'? I get that kit is a good idea, I get that taking kit is a good idea 'in case', but surely there shouldn't be this kind of variable right up to the off?
    My understanding of the rules (i may be wrong) is that for any FRA registered race (outside of those where kit is mandatory), the kit requirement on the day is at the discretion and instruction of the organiser.

Therefore it's safe to assume that at any FRA event there may well be a requirement to carry kit, regardless of race category.

Derby Tup and PeteS have got it bang on... anticipate the fact that kit might be required, and you're covered.

I think it's also worth remembering (and again i might not have this 100% correct) that i'm pretty sure that the RO can stipulate additional kit over and above FRA requirements (i.e extra layers, survival bag, etc) if they see fit.
    Last edited by Travs; 18-03-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Personally, I always make the assumption that if the race is run under FRA regulations (regardless of category), then it is full mandatory kit unless specifically stated otherwise. That said, I don't recall entering a race recently that wasn't full kit anyway.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Personally, I always make the assumption that if the race is run under FRA regulations (regardless of category), then it is full mandatory kit unless specifically stated otherwise.
    And that's ok to make the assumption - you're then covered whatever - but it's not right is it? The rules aren't regardless of category.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsloth View Post
    And that's ok to make the assumption - you're then covered whatever - but it's not right is it? The rules aren't regardless of category.
    A RO always can exercise the right to stipulate extra kit depending on the conditions on the day (and this could be a relatively last minute decision.) So regardless of what the rules say, I would always turn up with full mandatory kit anyway.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    My understanding of the rules (i may be wrong) is that for any FRA registered race (outside of those where kit is mandatory), the kit requirement on the day is at the discretion and instruction of the organiser.

Therefore it's safe to assume that at any FRA event there may well be a requirement to carry kit, regardless of race category.

Derby Tup and PeteS have got it bang on... anticipate the fact that kit might be required, and you're covered.

I think it's also worth remembering (and again i might not have this 100% correct) that i'm pretty sure that the RO can stipulate additional kit over and above FRA requirements (i.e extra layers, survival bag, etc) if they see fit.
    It just seems a little vague and ambiguous to me. Surely if this is the way we're thinking, the better wording would be that kit was mandatory for all races, but could be waived at the ROs discretion (for applicable categories)? Like I say, I do take kit, and sometimes carry it even if not enforced. However, there must be newcomers who would interpret this as I have, and just roll up in their kit?