Firstly, I apologise if this has already been done to death, but it's something that has been frustrating me for a while.
FRA kit requirement. You'd think it was so simple, after all, there's a download on the site which is pretty in depth. Why then, does it cause such confusion, not just with runners, but seemingly RO's?!
My understanding - and correct me if I'm wrong...
MANDATORY (must be, has to be, got to be) kit applies to all AL, AM, BL races.
BEST PRACTICE (advised, good idea to, not mandatory) kit applies to other categories.
RO MAY (can if they want) enforce other kit rules at their discretion.

So. The last two races I have done. Hope Winter - category BM. Wolf's Pit - category AS.
From the FRA rules, I would have guessed that you could carry kit, but that it would not be compulsory? However...
Hope Winter - On the website for this race, the RO declares that 'full body cover (taped seemed waterproofs, hat and gloves) will need to be either carried or worn'. If this were a RO decision, then I've no issue, but it was stated that this was to comply with FRA rules? Surely the 'rule' doesn't apply to this race as it is category BM?
Wolf's Pit - On the website/Facebook page etc, there is no mention of kit requirements. However, before the start, a kit check was announced. If the RO hasn't previously declared a kit requirement, surely there isn't one? What happens if anyone is found not to be carrying kit? This is a category AS.