Thread: Fellsman & WHW - times?

Fellsman & WHW - times?

Hi all,

I'm wondering about the likely range for comparative time for the West Highland Way race compared to the Fellsman.

I would guess the WHW would take about 1.5x to 1.7x as long as the Fellsman. It's about 1.5x as long in distance but probably not that much in elevation (I should check).

If anyone on here has done both I'd be interested to hear your comparative times.

thanks

Is the WHW on easier terrain, that could close up the difference a lot.

Probably (especially judging by the photos on social media of "resurfacing" works that have been carried out on one section, making it look like a cycle path!).

I just thought there might be a sample of runners on here who had done both and how their times compared. My hunch is that the factor will be a range of 1.5 to 1.7 at the faster end, maybe higher at the slower end of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Is the WHW on easier terrain, that could close up the difference a lot.

Master
    I have done both 21 hrs for the WHW and 24 hrs for the Fellsman, the major factor on the Fellsman, with times is who you get grouped with at dusk as the all members of the group have to stay together until dawn when marshals can give clearance for the group to split, very frustrating if one or two members of the group are not into working as a team and are just out to finish.

As to terrain nothing much in it physically really given the extra distance of the WHW maybe the navigation is more fun on the fellsman though.
    My preference though is the WHW race (Jim Drummonds version where there is no support crew required and the option to ascend the Ben just to round things off).

I think you will find the WHW race has around 3900m of ascent and the fellsman is about 3350m, the WHW is around 48k longer than the Fellsman.

Both are a good day out though
    Last edited by JohnK; 22-03-2019 at 09:27 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was