Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reynauds Syndrome

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    I've had Raynaud's in my hands for years. The first time it happened I thought my fingers were going to fall off! Dead man's fingers. It only happens to me after a run, especially if it's been wet and windy. Just cold and I'm fine. It always comes on about 10 minutes after I stop and lasts 30 minutes or so. It's quite uncomfortable when the blood comes back in. My wife says I've always been a 'cold person'! My hands are always cold as are my feet. She likes nothing better than me warning my feet up on her back in bed. She says I need to fatten up a bit.
    The GP offered my beta blockers but I don't like to take stuff unless it's necessary. Beta blockers can make you feel a bit slowed up. Even if I wear gloves it happens so I just accept it.
    It seems to be quite common up here, I think circulatory problems are rife in Scotland.
    Beta-blockers make cold hands worse. Not good for runners in general as they slow the heart, but sometimes there is no alternative. Beta-blockers are, approximately, the opposite of the Salbutamol inhalers that are so popular in cycling.
    Dexshell waterproof socks - NB not Sealskin - worn over the winter, with Injinji liners underneath, prevented my usual chilblains - highly recommended.

I THINK that I have Reynauds but intend to obtain an appointment with my GP to verify that it is Reynauds and not some underlying issue - Just heard that an old colleague from work, a keen cyclist who never missed the 15 miles each way commute on his bike, always seemed as fit as a fiddle and never carried an ounce of fat but always wore gloves even in summer, thinking that he had Reynauds; has just dropped dead whilst out cycling at the age of 71. A postmortem has revealed that he did not have Reynauds but a circulatory blockage which could have been cleared with a very simple procedure if it had been diagnosed.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    er, thinking that he had Reynaudse did not have Reynauds but a circulatory blockage which could have been cleared with a very simple procedure if it had been diagnosed.
    Good idea.

My son (who is a NHS Consultant) does not look favourably on self-diagnosis.

And given that it takes approaching 20 years of university study and hospital experience to become a consultant, he might have a valid point of view.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I THINK that I have Reynauds but intend to obtain an appointment with my GP to verify that it is Reynauds and not some underlying issue - Just heard that an old colleague from work, a keen cyclist who never missed the 15 miles each way commute on his bike, always seemed as fit as a fiddle and never carried an ounce of fat but always wore gloves even in summer, thinking that he had Reynauds; has just dropped dead whilst out cycling at the age of 71. A postmortem has revealed that he did not have Reynauds but a circulatory blockage which could have been cleared with a very simple procedure if it had been diagnosed.
    Most cases of Raynaud's will not show up on a PM. Only where the Raynaud's is secondary to another condition, such as Scleroderma, will Raynaud's be able to be inferred at PM. I would be interested to know where the blockage was - was it Aortic Stenosis? Where ever the blockage, he may have had Raynaud's as well - these things are not mutually exclusive.