Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reynauds Syndrome

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    I've had Raynaud's in my hands for years. The first time it happened I thought my fingers were going to fall off! Dead man's fingers. It only happens to me after a run, especially if it's been wet and windy. Just cold and I'm fine. It always comes on about 10 minutes after I stop and lasts 30 minutes or so. It's quite uncomfortable when the blood comes back in. My wife says I've always been a 'cold person'! My hands are always cold as are my feet. She likes nothing better than me warning my feet up on her back in bed. She says I need to fatten up a bit.
    The GP offered my beta blockers but I don't like to take stuff unless it's necessary. Beta blockers can make you feel a bit slowed up. Even if I wear gloves it happens so I just accept it.
    It seems to be quite common up here, I think circulatory problems are rife in Scotland.
    Beta-blockers make cold hands worse. Not good for runners in general as they slow the heart, but sometimes there is no alternative. Beta-blockers are, approximately, the opposite of the Salbutamol inhalers that are so popular in cycling.
    Dexshell waterproof socks - NB not Sealskin - worn over the winter, with Injinji liners underneath, prevented my usual chilblains - highly recommended.

I THINK that I have Reynauds but intend to obtain an appointment with my GP to verify that it is Reynauds and not some underlying issue - Just heard that an old colleague from work, a keen cyclist who never missed the 15 miles each way commute on his bike, always seemed as fit as a fiddle and never carried an ounce of fat but always wore gloves even in summer, thinking that he had Reynauds; has just dropped dead whilst out cycling at the age of 71. A postmortem has revealed that he did not have Reynauds but a circulatory blockage which could have been cleared with a very simple procedure if it had been diagnosed.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    er, thinking that he had Reynaudse did not have Reynauds but a circulatory blockage which could have been cleared with a very simple procedure if it had been diagnosed.
    Good idea.

My son (who is a NHS Consultant) does not look favourably on self-diagnosis.

And given that it takes approaching 20 years of university study and hospital experience to become a consultant, he might have a valid point of view.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I THINK that I have Reynauds but intend to obtain an appointment with my GP to verify that it is Reynauds and not some underlying issue - Just heard that an old colleague from work, a keen cyclist who never missed the 15 miles each way commute on his bike, always seemed as fit as a fiddle and never carried an ounce of fat but always wore gloves even in summer, thinking that he had Reynauds; has just dropped dead whilst out cycling at the age of 71. A postmortem has revealed that he did not have Reynauds but a circulatory blockage which could have been cleared with a very simple procedure if it had been diagnosed.
    Most cases of Raynaud's will not show up on a PM. Only where the Raynaud's is secondary to another condition, such as Scleroderma, will Raynaud's be able to be inferred at PM. I would be interested to know where the blockage was - was it Aortic Stenosis? Where ever the blockage, he may have had Raynaud's as well - these things are not mutually exclusive.

I finally got around to making a doctor's appointment.

My hands looked o.k. whilst I was with the doctor, despite not having worn gloves all day. From my description of the symptoms and the circumstances under which they occur, he was certain that it's Reynauds.
    He felt my pulse and reckoned that it is so strong that he can rule out any possibility of an underlying blockage.
    Basically I'm now a relatively happy bunny ..... just need to keep good gloves to hand, particularly at this time of the year.

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!