Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland - holiday ideas

Scotland - holiday ideas

Hi,

I'm after holiday recommendations for Scotland at the end of august. It's me, wife, 5year old girl, 2year boys + what will be an 8week old bairn.

Don't want to camp (for the first time ever) but want quick and easy mountain access for runs and jaunts. A loch for kayaks would also be good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MAtt

I'm no expert on Scotland, however just came back from Skye and it is fantastic for running, walking, kayaking, etc. However if your wife and young children are looking for something more 'family friendly' then it may not be ideal.

The Glencoe area looks very well catered for all forms of tourism, Fort William close by with extensive facilities, and a multitude of running, climbing, kayaking adventures.

Mull would be my choice. It's got everything. However, the end of August can be/is high midge season in Scotland, especially on the West Coast, so be prepared with 3 sprogs under 6.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Aviemore or somewhere nearby? If you want somewhere quiet I can recommend a place in Nethy Bridge that’ll accommodate everyone you’ve listed in comfort and backs onto the River Nethy so you can all hang out in the river if it’s hot. I was there during last years heat wave and spent a lot of time sat in the river playing with the dog with a beer.

The area has pretty much the highest concentration of stuff to do in the Highlands. You’ll find kayak hire at a Morlich and Insch. No shortage of hills to run. You’ll be able to get the kids into Glen Feshie, Abernethy (Caledonian) Forest, Loch Garten. Highland Safari Park is just down the road if the kids get too much you can feed them to the Polar Bears. Steam train is probably worth a shout. Several bike hire options too. I’ve not been the there is the Highland Folk Museum near Kingussie.

If you fancy trying Packrafting give Andy Toop a shout at Backcountry.scot, he tends to be out paddling/biking a lot but he’s a really nice guy. And Packrafts are incredibly stable and you might even get your 5yr old in one on flat water. Maybe! If you go into that shop, be careful, it’s easy to bankrupt yourself with all the wonderful outdoor kit on offer

Midge numbers are usually lower than the West. Day trips can take you across to quite a distance as well, Ness, Fort Bill, Rannoch, Moray Coast, North of Inverness all in reach.

And to be honest. After this winter and everything that’s happened the local economy needs the traffic!

Aviemore, busy, bit ugly in places, but everything is there.

Boat of Garten, quiet, pub and a few shops. Bike hire.

Nethy Bridge, very quiet, nice cafe and a little shop. Go here for quiet forest and river walks.

Kingussie and Newtonmore are, lots of accommodation. Picks up road noise from the A9, but you tend to find yourself driving a lot. Good access to Fort Bill area.

What it lacks is the dramatic hills of the west and the interplay of land and water.
    Last edited by shaunaneto; 24-03-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Super Moderator
    Ardnamurchan

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Ardnamurchan
    Good shout. Can easy hop over to Mull from Lochaline, or Fort William / Glencoe on the Corran Ferry.

So you have quiet, but close to some life if you want it.

Salen is a good area with a good pub in the Salen Hotel, and musicians gather in the evening many nights for a celeidh. I've stayed there about 4 times.

Loch Sunart one of the finest sea lochs and Loch Shiel a fine freshawater loch just a couple of miles inland from Salen.

Ben Resipol a good option for a run.

On the South aide of Loch Sunart you could have a look at the Rahoy or Laudale Estates although might be a bit pricey.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Ardnamurchan, reminds me. Need some new tick twisters.

You do like midges, don't you??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Head for the islands. Midges ain't half as bad.

Were you not wanting to run up hills then Orkney would be a good idea. Skye ticks (sic) all of the boxes though. Further on and island hopping around the Uists, Harris and Lewis is incredibly beautiful. Some many quiet, unspoilt, beautiful beaches and plenty of hills.

Wherever you go. Book ASAP.

Especially Skye. Which will be very busy at that time of year.

I say busy being relative to the facilities on offer.