Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Roaches - First Fell Race?

The Roaches - First Fell Race?

Greetings everyone just joined the forum and FRA but have yet to run my first race. I was looking at The Roaches this weekend for my first race but is it a bit long for a first timer?

I had an abortive recce last week, parked at the reservoir and took the public path up to the Roaches via Middle Hume farm but took the wrong path in the wood an ended up coming back around the ridge to the path back up the Roaches. So I missed out Shutlingsloe, which looks the hardest part and did 11 miles which took 3 hours and 8 minutes.

I did 15 miles in the North Downs with 1700ft ascent yesterday in 3 hours 15.

Is this enough for this race or should I work on my hill fitness for a few months first? I don’t mind being last but don’t want to be so slow that the marshalls are getting pissed off!

The Roaches is BL, so sounds like an ideal start for fell racing in my opinion.
    On the main website, filter the results for other recent BL races and see how your times compare.
    But if you are really worried about being too slow, then maybe choose a tamer one, such as BS or even AS to start with.

I think the slowest times last year were around 4.5 hours so you should be well inside that.

I’d say that it’s as good as first race as any, provided you can manage the distance, and can happily spend several hours out in potentially cold/wet/windy conditions.

For a long race, it doesn’t have huge amounts of climbing, or go to a particularly high altitude, even by English standards. And being an out-and-back, you’re (hopefully!) unlikely to go astray...

But it is arduous, and contains some tough terrain, which I expect will be particularly bad this year with the wet weather...

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll rock up on Sunday and give it a go. Only real way to find out if it’s achievable or not!

Let us all know how it goes.... I may be there myself, depending on whether or not I do the cross-country on the Saturday...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    It looks like you can survive the distance, but as Travs said . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    But it is arduous, and contains some tough terrain, which I expect will be particularly bad this year with the wet weather...
    You won't have the greasy chalk of the North Downs, but there will be some serious mud; and there's the crossing of the River Dane, which should be fun after the recent rain. One false move, and the river will take you on a speedy journey to Liverpool.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    It looks like you can survive the distance, but as Travs said . . .

You won't have the greasy chalk of the North Downs, but there will be some serious mud; and there's the crossing of the River Dane, which should be fun after the recent rain. One false move, and the river will take you on a speedy journey to Liverpool.
    I couldn't think of a worse place to end up in, and that includes Merthyr Tydfil!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I had a close encounter with the River Dane last year, in it up to my chest on the way out... made the next couple of miles rather uncomfortable!

Is there a chance it may be cancelled with all the rain we have had today? The river Dane will be bank high I would have thought looking at the rivers local to me.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzy View Post
    Is there a chance it may be cancelled with all the rain we have had today? The river Dane will be bank high I would have thought looking at the rivers local to me.
    They could divert via the footbridge a few hundred metres upstream.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges