Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An error of judgement!

An error of judgement!

Met with family members for a day out on Saturday. Venue was Peak district, Chatsworth House for starters. I was asked for more suggestions. Last time I was there I would have been about 10 (yes, OK, that makes it half a century ago!!)and I had vague memories of the Petrifying Well in Matlock Bath so thought it would be nice to go and visit.
    OMG. Major error! Dantes Vision of Hell!

We really are going to hell in a handcart judging by the 'citizens' I saw in that...ummm....place.

Apols to any one who lives there!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Met with family members for a day out on Saturday. Venue was Peak district, Chatsworth House for starters. I was asked for more suggestions. Last time I was there I would have been about 10 (yes, OK, that makes it half a century ago!!)and I had vague memories of the Petrifying Well in Matlock Bath so thought it would be nice to go and visit.
    OMG. Major error! Dantes Vision of Hell!

We really are going to hell in a handcart judging by the 'citizens' I saw in that...ummm....place.

Apols to any one who lives there!
    You are lucky that you did not choose a Bank Holiday for your visit Wheeze. Where are you ticking off next, Skegness, Barry Island?
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 25-03-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I do envy people who can regard somewhere reasonably nice (albeit very busy) like Matlock Bath as "hell"...

You really should spend a day in Coventry, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, or some such place!

Many years ago i was going out with a girl whose family owned/lived in a fantastic country inn, in a very remote part of Devon. One weekend we went for a big Friday night out in Tiverton to the 'young farmers dance'.... i was told i had to watch my back in Tiverton because it was a dangerous place!! I never did invite her to visit the gun/drug/murder hotspots of the West Midlands...

I'd certainly agree with Skegness though... what a dive...

At least in somewhere like Birmingham there is something other than chips to eat!😂

Super Moderator
    The Stepping Stones, Dovedale in the Peak are ‘quite popular’ on high days and holidays if you enjoy company, as is Bolton Abbey in Wharfedale

[QUOTE=Derby Tup;647932]The Stepping Stones, Dovedale in the Peak are ‘quite popular’ on high days and holidays

The Stepping Stones will be particularly busy on 22 September when the last English Championship race takes place at Ilam but I suspect the vast majority of runners will opt for wet feet in the river!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

When I lived in Coventry, Travs, I remember a midweek dark evening run through Canley with the Masseys men and having glass bottles thrown at us by the local youth. Lovely! Matlock is grimly busy though at weekends.

Mark Steel's In Town from Matlock/Matlock bath summed it up pretty well iirc
    https://youtu.be/ENG1igwHonw or https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b09hrxw2
    Last edited by ba-ba; 25-03-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Banned
    Blackpool is nice.