Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Attempt - Absurd??

Well if you like the hills, and decide to go for it, you'll have a cracking spring/summer ahead of you. As mentioned, its not just the day, enjoy the journey of preparing for your attempt. All those long days in the hills are reward enough.

Thank you so much for the advice and response - I'm taking it all on board. It looks like my best plan is to get very familiar with the two 3/4-mile, 250ft hills near my flat and get some long days out in at the weekend - there are some steep hills I can get to easily in the Chilterns for the weekends I'm not in the Lakes.

I'm also keen on back-to-backs (see last weekend, even if it was shorter distance and higher intensity) and boot camp weeks - last September I did two 9-day hill blocks, one with 72 miles/17,700 feet of running and 50 miles/19,600 feet of walking, and the other with 89 miles/18,000 feet of running, and really enjoyed them a lot. It looks like we're going to try to walk all of Wainwright's Western Fells in 4 days at the end of May, which could be a proper kick-start to 12 weeks of 10,000 ft to put myself in shape for it.

I could probably get up to the Lakes every 2 or 3 weeks in that period, too, which would at least give me the chance to do every leg a couple of times, whether as a recce or to support people (I am on the BG facebook page). I've been on bits of the route before but never with a proper view to a recce. Time to get planning! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Blah Blah; 28-03-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Super Moderator
    “ . . . last September I did two 9-day hill blocks, one with 72 miles/17,700 feet of running and 50 miles/19,600 feet of walking, and the other with 89 miles/18,000 feet of walking, and really enjoyed them a lot. It looks like we're going to try to walk all of Wainwright's Western Fells in 4 days at the end of May, which could be a proper kick-start to 12 weeks of 10,000 ft to put myself in shape for it . . . “

This to me is far more important than half-marathon or PPP times. When you’re going over Pillar or coming off Kirk Fell and you’re maybe having a tough time of it this is what matters (plus how much do you really want it). I’m envious; you’ll have a great summer as PiesAre suggested

Well I'm doing it mid May and it sounds like you manage to do a lot more mileage than me each week so you'll be fine. Psychologically it helps to get out on the route and become familiar with it as there are a few tricky sections and route options (after two attempts I'm finally feeling happier with Rakehead Crag scree descent!). Some of us are heading up in a couple of weeks for some recces - lots of people will be posting on the facebook group so it's good to hook up with them as it helps when you need to start recruiting support. Most of my support are people I've met through the FB group and supporting other attempts and random people I've never met (hardly anyone from my club as we're mainly road, others don't know the route/feel confident enough or have other plans).

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors_Junkie View Post
    Well I'm doing it mid May and it sounds like you manage to do a lot more mileage than me each week so you'll be fine. Psychologically it helps to get out on the route and become familiar with it as there are a few tricky sections and route options (after two attempts I'm finally feeling happier with Rakehead Crag scree descent!). Some of us are heading up in a couple of weeks for some recces - lots of people will be posting on the facebook group so it's good to hook up with them as it helps when you need to start recruiting support. Most of my support are people I've met through the FB group and supporting other attempts and random people I've never met (hardly anyone from my club as we're mainly road, others don't know the route/feel confident enough or have other plans).
    Rakehead Crag? Thats the scree descent off Sca Fell isnt it? Surely thats the best bit of the round!! Did it the other day, great laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Craghopper View Post
    Rakehead Crag? Thats the scree descent off Sca Fell isnt it? Surely thats the best bit of the round!! Did it the other day, great laugh.
    I don't like the skiddy top marble scree section-once you get to the deep stuff which you sink in to I'm much happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Craghopper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors_Junkie View Post
    I don't like the skiddy top marble scree section-once you get to the deep stuff which you sink in to I'm much happier!
    You have to factor in a removal of the scree in your shoes as Wasdale don't you?
    People I've accompanied have varied in their appreciation of that descent!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Super Moderator
    I’ve never been down it and on my round went the long way round on grass

Master
    Blah Blah

Most of the advice is there above. You are obviously a very good runner, so you don't need to worry about that. In fact I'd argue that to do the BGR is not about being a good runner, its more about fell experience and time climbing and descending.
    because of location I never did 10k per week on the fells week in week out but did go to Lakes and Wales probably fortnightly and did at least 6 hour days and occasionally 10 hour days in prep. Also went to Peak and did things like the Kinder Dozen. Although races are fun, I think there is a danger of too much thinking that they are good prep. You work so much harder in a race for a shorter amount of time, and the big challenges are more about slower endurance, dealing with bad periods and after about half way the big issue is then psychological. Unlike marathon running where your training runs might be well over 20 miles, I doubt most people ever do more than about 25/30 in BGR or Paddy B prep. You just discover that you can actually keep going and you aim to hit key time milestones within your personal schedule. Therefore perhaps, rather than plan to race after 3 Peaks use your lakes time wisely to learn the route, get your timings right and get the ascent/descent in your legs. Combining 2 legs is an excellent way of recceing route and learning pace judgement etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Blah Blah

Most of the advice is there above. You are obviously a very good runner, so you don't need to worry about that. In fact I'd argue that to do the BGR is not about being a good runner, its more about fell experience and time climbing and descending.
    because of location I never did 10k per week on the fells week in week out but did go to Lakes and Wales probably fortnightly and did at least 6 hour days and occasionally 10 hour days in prep. Also went to Peak and did things like the Kinder Dozen. Although races are fun, I think there is a danger of too much thinking that they are good prep. You work so much harder in a race for a shorter amount of time, and the big challenges are more about slower endurance, dealing with bad periods and after about half way the big issue is then psychological. Unlike marathon running where your training runs might be well over 20 miles, I doubt most people ever do more than about 25/30 in BGR or Paddy B prep. You just discover that you can actually keep going and you aim to hit key time milestones within your personal schedule. Therefore perhaps, rather than plan to race after 3 Peaks use your lakes time wisely to learn the route, get your timings right and get the ascent/descent in your legs. Combining 2 legs is an excellent way of recceing route and learning pace judgement etc.
    Thank you - happy to have the advice. At the moment I'm looking at August Bank Holiday weekend as the likely attempt weekend, although I'm slightly wary of the amount of darkness that late in the summer - I'm reasoning it's better to be fully prepared than try to rush the training. I'm also coming round to dropping the races in favour of more recce-ing.

The current plan for spending time in the Lakes is:
    Holiday/Boot Camp Week 1
    24-26 May: 4 days in Wasdale, combining about 10 miles of walking with friends and a couple of hours of running each day.
    27 May: Support Leg 3 or 4 for friends of a friend
    28-31 May: Walk all "Western Fells" - 16 miles/6,500ft per day
    1 June: Duddon

Recce Weekends
    22-23 June and 13-14 July: Try to recce 2 legs Saturday, one Sunday

Boot Camp Week 2
    2-6 August: Cover all legs again. Possibly doing the whole thing over 3 days going YHA-YHA-YHA, as mentioned on the DPFR website.

It might be possible to get up for another weekend in there somewhere, and this might all change, but that's where I am at the moment. Will put out a call closer to the time on the facebook group for company.