Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Attempt - Absurd??

Can’t say whether or not that’s "enough" training, only your body can know, but it certainly looks good.

Just to second Corniceman — I did two back-to-back recces of leg 4 (18 miles counting the run in from seathwaite) with mates:

The first was an experienced ultra-runner, the second was a good club runner, who’s taken part in shorter fell races and has been training hill reps for months. I got round twice fine, but both my pals had a bit of a blow-up in the region of Kirkfell.

Even though our overall training volume is comparable, I’ve ran a minimum of 13 miles/month (usually more) on fells since last Sept, which they haven’t, so my anecdotal advice would be that actually getting up into the hills trumps all other training (as far as the BGR is concerned).

I think your base sounds pretty good to start from - and you have (now) 4 months until late August, which is enough time with the right programme of training - My training for the BG started at Christmas for a late May Round, i.e 5 months.

The key to success is long runs (time as opposed to distance)- shift the volume to fewer longer runs.- and ascent / descent. The more time you can get in the Lakes terrain the better you will gain in skill, particularly for descending. Runs don't have to be over long - the longest I ever did was 7 and a half hours. I didn't do these every weekend either - In total 12 long runs, just one weekend where I did back to backs. I didn't do a great amount during the week between the long weekend efforts - its important to recover, I can remember weak legs on the stairs for a few days after a long trainig run but always by the time the next one came round a contrasting return of strength, particularly descending.
    Last edited by andy k; 26-04-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks Andy - was good to see this after a tough day out at the Three Peaks on Saturday - got round in 3:55, but it's made clear what I will need to work on over the summer. I really suffered on the sustained uphill, so need to get my legs stronger for that - no big hills around here so I think that will mean setting a treadmill for 15% and 4mph and getting a couple of thousand feet of virtual elevation in at a time mid-week at an easy cardiovascular effort.

Going to take the rest of this week easy, because I've been training pretty consistently hard since October, and then get back into some slow long stuff and do some planning of Lakes weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah Blah View Post
    no big hills around here so I think that will mean setting a treadmill for 15% and 4mph and getting a couple of thousand feet of virtual elevation in at a time mid-week at an easy cardiovascular effort.
    An hour on the treadmill at that level will give you 3000ft or thereabouts (4mph that is, not 4km/h).

Alternatively you could do a similar effort on a stairclimber, which would give you a greater elevation of around 4000ft but over less distance.

Given the above, the stairclimber seems to offer a better workout, but personally I prefer the treadmill workout as you can make it more specific and put in some running sections (if you feel like it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    An hour on the treadmill at that level will give you 3000ft or thereabouts (4mph that is, not 4km/h).

Alternatively you could do a similar effort on a stairclimber, which would give you a greater elevation of around 4000ft but over less distance.

Given the above, the stairclimber seems to offer a better workout, but personally I prefer the treadmill workout as you can make it more specific and put in some running sections (if you feel like it!)
    Work gym has treadmills but no stairclimber, which makes the decision an easier one! Especially with the option of greater specificity.

Super Moderator
    B B have you not got any multi-storey buildings, dam walls or embankments you could use? Where do you live? By a Dutch canal?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    B B have you not got any multi-storey buildings, dam walls or embankments you could use? Where do you live? By a Dutch canal?
    I live in central London - I can get 220 ft in 3/4 mile on a nearby hill, but I'm looking to do long, consistent climbing, rather than bitty loops.

Super Moderator
    Sympathies for being in that London

220 ft in 3/4 miles sadly ain’t BG training

I think most of the majority of folks’ training is done ‘on the hill’ but having something to do when you’re not in the Lakes (or Snowdonia or Scotland) does help. Maybe find a gym with better kit?

I can easily get out to the Chilterns on a Sunday and get 16-20 miles with 3,000 ft, which I think will be fine for a down week, and was just about fine for the 3P, but I'll be looking to be in the Lakes every 2 or 3 weeks for the next four months.

Super Moderator
    It’s not just the climb but also the descent plus the rough ground if you’re away from the mountains