Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Attempt - Absurd??

Master
    More sympathy from me for living in London, however you may find some ideas on this website :-

http://www.runista.co.uk/news/trail-...-north-london/

Whilst a tread mill is ok you must remember that it can not replicate the true effort required out on the hill e.g. on the tready every footfall will be the same, unlike on the hill where every footfall will be different and using a far greater range of muscle and tendons which will not have used on the tready.

In a nutshell you need to train as many muscle groups as possible(but you knew that already)to build your core strength and the only way to do that is on the trails, hopefully you may fin some ideas in the link but you must make the most of your time in the lakes.

The very best of luck to you Bud
    The older I get the Faster I was

Thank you! I know the trails on Hampstead Heath like the back of my hand at this point - getting in 20 miles on a Sunday when the longest loop you can fit in is under 2 miles long is great boredom training.

The regular weekly plan at the moment is looking like:

Monday: Strength (focus on eccentric loading for downhill)
    Tuesday: 3-mile each way commute plus hour treadmill hiking. 10 miles and 3,000 ft
    Wednesday: Commute plus strength
    Thursday: As Tuesday
    Friday: Commute plus strength

with the weekend either made up of a trip to the Lakes or a 10-mile hilly road run (1,500 ft) and a long run (aiming for 5,000 ft or so in Wendover Woods, Dunstable Downs, or Box Hill).

I'm entered into a night 50k in July to get some proper headtorch time in, and will probably enter some orienteering events to spend some time with map, compass, and time pressure. At the very least I should have a lot of fun and be in pretty good shape!

I'm sure I read on here that some guys from London did a BG and some of their training involved running up and down their office steps!

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    I'm sure I read on here that some guys from London did a BG and some of their training involved running up and down their office steps!
    I used to work in the 33-floors Millbank Tower, London (118 metres high + basements) and would regularly train for an hour running up the fire escape steps (but using the lift down to recover) which - if nothing else - certainly taught me to count.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-04-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    Was it this guy from a few years ago?
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    BG Club Members 173 and 174, Peter Haynes and Dave Kingham, did the Round while they were students at Cambridge (as I was at that time). Peter's home was in Guildford, and Dave's somewhere in Hertfordshire, so slightly more hilly than Cambridge; but they did a lot of orienteering (often in hilly areas), and the occasional Mountain Marathon. I remember being with them during the planning stage, looking at maps, when we measured the route several times and couldn't get it to be more than 63 miles; at that time it was said to be 72 miles. We now know that 63 is much nearer the truth.

Incidentally, Bob, the "n" is missing from "Haynes" on the BG Club membership list.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    Dino’s man used to send me occasional pms on here if it’s the lad I think he is. Last I heard he was doing some epic tri adventures in Lakeland

Stef my wife was gutted when she moved from Southampton to live with me (err, no surprise there then), because she could no longer do her lunchtime office block stair training and had to make do with Beamsley Beacon and Ilkley Moor

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Was it this guy from a few years ago?
    I think it was Dino. Thanks for the link I enjoyed reading that.

Reviving this with an update and a couple of questions:

Training so far is going alright, have averaged 40 miles and 11,000 feet for four weeks:
    W/c 20 May: 31.4 miles, 10,223 ft (4,476 walking, 3,973 running in Wasdale, 1,600 on a treadmill)
    W/c 27 May: 54.9 miles, 19,276 ft (7,400 supporting Leg 4 and Honister-Wasdale via Moses Trod, 9k on a 2-day bivvy trip, plus a couple of runs)
    W/c 3 June: 50.5 miles, 9,619 ft (3,500 ft treadmill, 3,750 at a Salomon trail running thing, 1,350 running a ten-mile orienteering race)
    W/c 10 June: 23.5 miles, 5,505 ft (5k on treadmill, missed out on a Sunday long run by falling off my bike at low speed and getting a bad dead leg)

Assuming the physio doesn't tell me tomorrow that I have a terrible injury and shouldn't consider running, my first planned solo recce weekend is this weekend. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to get on a bus back to Keswick from Dunmail on a Saturday afternoon? Was considering a long day over legs 1 and 2 but that would be logistic-dependent? Won't be able to get to Keswick to start running until 8 or 9 on Saturday morning.

2. Does anyone fancy a run out over leg 1 on either day? Company would be nice, especially if you know the lines. Not averse to navigating by map, compass, and back-up watch, but it's harder to really dial it in like that, and I'll get my fix of solitude on the drive up and back!

I can't remember if the bus actually stops at Dunmail, but you need the 555 Lancaster to Keswick, I think.
    https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/...4339191327.pdf