Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wainwrights attempt 2019

Wainwrights attempt 2019

https://www.inov-8.com/blog/paultierneywainwright/

Paul Tierney from Ambleside is having a go at the Wainwright record Steve Birkenshaw set in 2014. Putative start date of 14th June. Will be good fun to follow and see how Paul can compare to Steve's 6d13h time.

From a personal point of view I managed to spend all week in the Lakes during Steve's attempt and did 50+ tops with him and it was amazing fun and a brilliant week! - and got me pretty fit for the next season!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Just bumping this as Paul starts on Friday 14th. I've seen the schedule but not looked at it in depth. Wonder what the weather will do that week!

At the moment the weather is unsettled and due to cool through the week, hope it just settles, not too warm, wet or windy!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    https://www.inov-8.com/blog/paultierneywainwright/

Paul Tierney from Ambleside is having a go at the Wainwright record Steve Birkenshaw set in 2014. Putative start date of 14th June. Will be good fun to follow and see how Paul can compare to Steve's 6d13h time.

From a personal point of view I managed to spend all week in the Lakes during Steve's attempt and did 50+ tops with him and it was amazing fun and a brilliant week! - and got me pretty fit for the next season!
    I read Steve's book No map in hell which was about this. A reasonably good read. You get a few mentions ba-ba.

I know it's early days but he seems to be going well so far. Got further than Steve did on day 2. Steve stopped before the Coniston group but Paul carried on over into the early hours. I reckon he's nearly an hour ahead of Steve at the moment.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

He's a bit behind his schedule but 45mins up on Steve at this point. Long way to go - it was on this day Steve stopped early to bank sleep at Loughrigg, then followed it up with a mega 23.5h day.

Remember Steve basically knew he had the record as he started the last day so maybe didn't push too hard. Paul *could* get to sale fell on a par with Steve, then just push that bit harder and grab the record by a small amount. Some interesting tactics at play if you want to do that, but I think focussing on what he' doing now, rather than Steve's times, would probably be easier mentally.

No idea what his schedule is, but looks like he was just under an hour ahead of Steve at Yoke. Last few summit splits are all a wee bit slower than Steve's though. Compelling stuff! The pace this deep in to the round is incredible.
    Geoff Clarke

Binsey is an expensive one it is a long way on the roads from Dodd Wood to bag it, and another long road section after it to Sale Fell.