Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip/glute pain

Hip/glute pain

Hi,

My issue started off with a bit of soreness on the top of my hip (illiac crest?). After Loopy Latrigg the pain got worse (due to the fase descent?) and was a bit more in the glute. it persisited without really affecting anything - I got through Stretton OK and the road relays last Sunday. Easy run Monday morning was fine. Did some v light strength stuff in the evening (including squats) and it all felt fine, and the following day I could hardly walk. This has persisted all week - I'd hobble around the office, but then hill reps up Skiddaw in the evening were fine (downhill not so much). The really odd thing is that the only time I'm not in pain is when running uphill. Anytime when my leg is straight and even slightly infront of me is painful.

Any thoughts?

Not much help, but go see a pyhsio, they will recommend some exercises.

When I got hip pain years ago it was related to my lower back, which was inflamed and pushing on the nerve due to tight hamstrings putting pressure on my lower back muscles. It sounds bizarre but hamstring exercises (especially after any exercise) sorted it out.

I had pain in my Hip flexors and the issue was related to weakness/tightness in the glutes.

I had piriformis syndrome a couple of years ago. Very intense pain leading from top/outside of right buttock spreading into top/back of thigh. I would hobble about walking but running seemed to loosen it off after 10 minutes or so. Running uphill was fine but downhill sore Long periods of sitting or driving made it worse. Something to do with muscle pressing onto the piriformis nerve. Very like sciatica. I started Pilates after advice from GP and it went away after 6 weeks. It's not come back but I keep up the Pilates and stretching.

Sorry to go on but.... I also had terrible hamstring pain for weeks. Right at top of hamstring. Very intense. Running uphill was fine but downhill every step was agony. I'd been doing lots of treadmill speed sessions and think I strained it there. I stumbled one day and felt like I'd been shot in the bum. I could hardly walk. I had torn it apparently. Took 2 months to recover properly.

Hope it's neither of them!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Struggling to shake off a similar problem myself.
    I aggravated my ITB last October and that has seemingly now morphed into pain in the left hip and glute. I have little pain cycling and running up hill but anything more than a jog on the flat and the pain kicks in. Consequentially, a 10km run around my local hills leaves me in pain and hardly able to walk the next day whereas 14km around the Long Mynd with 1000m climb and nowhere flat was absolutely fine.
    Daily regime of stretches, core work and foam roller seem to be helping a little but will be following this thread to see if anyone has any bright ideas!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Daily regime of stretches, core work!
    Yes that is it, but it is a veeerry slow process. I spent two years going to a gym and mainly working on the mats with a sequence of exercises I developed from physio advice, google/youtube and just watching what exercies other people were doing.

I'm waiting on an appointmet for physio, but have seen massage therapist a couple of time and that's helped a little, along with following his advice (application of heat, sitting on a tennis ball at work etc).

Sounds v similar to Neilly. Getting outa my chair at work is agonising, the 10 min walk home eases things off, training in the evening fine (a bit of discomfort on the downs), than I get up in the morning and I can hardly walk again...

I'll try the turbo this evening and see what happens re cycling (even tho the weather's great I don't think I'll risk it stopping me in my tracks miles from home!)

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I forgot I posted on here 5 years ago but I still have the same problem
    It has come and gone and is now back with a vengeance! I have been working with a physio over the last year or so to resolve but getting nowhere. I am virtually 99% sure the issue is a sciatic nerve impingement. The physio advice was for hip mobility and stability exercises which I'm not sure are helping. Perhaps even hindering?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I forgot I posted on here 5 years ago but I still have the same problem
    It has come and gone and is now back with a vengeance! I have been working with a physio over the last year or so to resolve but getting nowhere. I am virtually 99% sure the issue is a sciatic nerve impingement. The physio advice was for hip mobility and stability exercises which I'm not sure are helping. Perhaps even hindering?
    Do you get shooting pains in your leg?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent