Thread: Which vest / rucksack

Which vest / rucksack

I'm doing the three peaks race & was thinking of using a vest rather than a bum bag for convenience of reaching drinks & snacks. Having done a bit of research I believe they can make you sweat a lot can anyone recommend a type that will minimize this effect as I sweat a lot as it is. Thanks in advance , Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by ali g View Post
    I'm doing the three peaks race & was thinking of using a vest rather than a bum bag for convenience of reaching drinks & snacks. Having done a bit of research I believe they can make you sweat a lot can anyone recommend a type that will minimize this effect as I sweat a lot as it is. Thanks in advance , Simon.
    Hi Simon,

I'm in the same quandary, but looking the other way at Bumbag type advice for carrying a bottle and mandatory FRA kit in races.

Vest wise, I currently use a Salomon Skin Pro 15 - comes with a 1.5l bladder, its great for when you need to carry a bit more kit like over winter, for an all use pack, it does compress and synch in quite well for minimal movement while moving, though but it is overkill for mandatory FRA Kit in races - Otherwise it is great & lightweight, I can't recommended Salomon vests highly enough.

Unfortunately, and I fear the same for all vests, it is sweaty - even in mid Winter your back will be soaked...Summer, its hard to wear a base layer and the vest on warmer days....

I've seen a lot of guys with the small 5l Kalenji pack from Decathalon - Could be a cheap option?

Lance.
    Last edited by Bumble; 08-08-2019 at 04:38 PM.

I guess I will need something like this at some point too so will be following with interest

As an aside, I often wondered why there isn't a bag that is designed to fit and behave as though you have a bit of a 'beer belly' - maybe this is a men only thing? ladies may have their own insights as to where to carry the extra weight? but I used to be a lot heavier than I am now (erm ~30Kg) and a significant portion of it was my belly (sorry maybe this is a bit tmi) the point being is that men carry weight really well in this area and as far as I know don't really sweat there either; so why no bags that take advantage of this for those of us who don't have a beer belly?

Silly question or brilliant idea?

I don’t think race vests necessarily make you sweat any more, but it just makes it harder for any sweat to escape and evaporate, therefore you feel it a bit more.

I’ve got an Inov8 vest but I certainly wouldn’t pay full price for one (I actually got it half price 2nd hand from on here!), but really I think you need to decide what features you want/need, and whether your chosen vest has those features.

For example, I wanted to be able to reach my drink without removing the bag. I don’t use bladders or soft-flasks, so it needed to have accessible side pockets with enough space to fit in a bottle or two. Same with map/compass, so it needed additional secure and accessible small pockets...

Although after investing in a small Pete Bland 3 litre bumbag (less than 20 quid), and the fantastic OMM 6 litre bumbag (approx 40 quid, and to reply to the very first post, has a bottle holder that is very secure and accessible), I can’t see me ever shelling out full price for a race vest.

Can’t comment on the kalenji stuff. I’m all for going budget to save a bit of money, but there’s a few things that I don’t think you should skimp on.... decent shoes, waterproof jacket, and I’d probably put a good bag that suits you in that category too.... and gloves too...!
    Last edited by Travs; 08-08-2019 at 09:32 PM.

I've got the 10L Kalenji race pack from Decathlon. I really can't fault it - it's comfortable, light, well-designed and has all the capacity and pockets you need for any long fell race. The fact is is also a very good price says more about how overpriced Salomon and Inov-8 packs are rather than a reflection on the quality I reckon!

I looked at the Kalenji and found a lot of complaints (many in French - thank you google translate) about the materials being really abrasive and ruining peoples clothes.

Have they sorted this problem now?

Not been an issue for me. Perhaps the Frenchies complaining were running in finest silk ;-)

I've just bought the Kalenji 10l too. Only been out with it twice, but so far no problems. Prefer it to the Inov8 racepro10 I bought some time ago. Less bulky and the tube clip is better IMO. Think I'll be using the latter for walking daypack now. P'raps I should add I'm here vicariously and not an experienced fellrunner :-(
    Last edited by Bartholomew of Basildon; 12-08-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Chris (Pitsea Running Club)

Thank you for this, experienced runner or not - your experience still counts

I went for the OMM ultra waist pouch, I haven't been out with it yet, it only turned up today, but i've tried it on it is very good, feels great and not very expensive either. I am sure it's going to be more than enough for what I need it for and probably beyond!

Cheers. Reasonably experienced runner, just not, sadly, in the uplands. As The Who didn't say "Hope I move (house) before I get old". Thinking about it - quoting The Who probably indicates this is less likely than I want it to be.
    Chris (Pitsea Running Club)