Thread: Last minute-ish support?

Last minute-ish support?

Just like the title says.

Planning on 17th/18th May (hopefully 17th, possibly 18th if needed to accommodate supports).

I’m not that fussed about running segments unsupported, and I’ve got support for most of Leg 3 and all of Leg 4, but in a perfect world I’d have some company on Leg 2/5. I’m not asking strangers to come round the back o’skiddaw with me, unless they have a ‘thing’ for bogs.

One of my planed supports has dropped out. I’ve tried some sensible routes to get a new one (mates of my brother who lives locally, my local running club), but no dice. Everyone is either doing Old County Tops/Fairfield Horseshoe, or put off by my pace (I’m training at 18h pace, obviously my schedule will be slower).

If anyone fancies a lovely jog in the hills, let me know. Planning a 4am start, so Leg 2 would be 8am-ish, 5 would be 9pm-ish.

* I know there’s a BGR facebook group, but I’m not on FB, and would honestly rather run 13 miles on my own in the rain than sign up

Quote Originally Posted by skipchris View Post
    * I know there’s a BGR facebook group, but I’m not on FB, and would honestly rather run 13 miles on my own in the rain than sign up
    I am sorry but you are cutting off your nose to spit your face there. Just sign up and turn off all alerts/notifiations/ friend suggestions,etc. Just google "facebook turn off all notifications" Then it will be a a very rich passive community for you to avail of.

Five years ago this forum would have been a brilliant resource, but like many other fourms it is suffering at the hands of the newer social media platforms. The BG Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/400297433323294/) is probably the best place for the type of help you after.

Both my nose and my face have never been better since I sacked off Facebook and Twitter a couple of years back, but this thread’s not really the place for that!

If I can rope in someone here, fab. If I can’t, also fab.

Quote Originally Posted by skipchris View Post
    Just like the title says.

Planning on 17th/18th May (hopefully 17th, possibly 18th if needed to accommodate supports).

I’m not that fussed about running segments unsupported, and I’ve got support for most of Leg 3 and all of Leg 4, but in a perfect world I’d have some company on Leg 2/5. I’m not asking strangers to come round the back o’skiddaw with me, unless they have a ‘thing’ for bogs.

One of my planed supports has dropped out. I’ve tried some sensible routes to get a new one (mates of my brother who lives locally, my local running club), but no dice. Everyone is either doing Old County Tops/Fairfield Horseshoe, or put off by my pace (I’m training at 18h pace, obviously my schedule will be slower).

If anyone fancies a lovely jog in the hills, let me know. Planning a 4am start, so Leg 2 would be 8am-ish, 5 would be 9pm-ish.

Good luck with your attempt Chris, hope it goes well. Just curious, is this your first round or aren't you bothered about joining the 24-hour club/getting your name in the register etc? I completely understand that some people aren't, it's just that whenever I hear of people doing a leg or complete round with no support I wonder whether they understand that rounds have to be validated by witnesses, first rounds do anyhow

Apologies if I'm preaching to the choir etc.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Hiya, thanks for the good luck!

I’m not bothered about being in the club, I’m just running for my own satisfaction.

Nowt against the club, and if I rustled up 5 supports I probably would submit an application, but equally it’s not top of my list of things to do.

Totally understand. Hope it goes well anyway.

Cheers man,

Just read a few of your write-ups on your blog (including your JNC — well done!), enjoyed them, thanks!