Howdy,

Apologies upfront if this waffles at all. Trying to get a sense of where I’m at in my training and where to go next.

I’ve been training for the BGR since August, and it’s been going well. A fortnight ago I did leg 4 twice in 4 days without feeling too shabby, and this week I linked leg 3 and (most of) 4. Leg 3 went great to Scafell Pike (not far off 18h pace), but I found leg 4 a struggle. This is new for me.

being unapologetically unscientific, I see three components in how quickly i move from A to B in the hills:

1) how quick I can run — I never really struggle with this. I was still managing 9min/mi on Grey Knotts, which isn’t going to win any marathons, but it’s respectable for what I’m trying to achieve

2) how quick I can ascend — I can do this well enough, but it tails off quicker than my running

3) feeling like poo - I’d researched enough to know this was going to happen, but I only really started to experience it for the first time on Red Pike. I could run and force myself to climb, but I felt bloody awful — sore, miserable and physically sick.

I’m good at 1) and pretty confident through consistent training and recovery I can improve 2), but does anyone have any thoughts/advice about 3)? Can this be trained? Or are humans just built in a way that if you run 30 miles in the hills, you’re going to start to feel awful?

Cheers.