Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Farage NEW PM

I love it the UK goes into the middle east blowing the hell out of everything and leaves a disaster behind. This contributes to the migrant crisis, I say contributes, because the main reason is different types of muslims cannot live together in pace. But then the likes of Farage urges the UK to pull up the drawbridge to stop the flow of people, which somehow fixes the issue.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I love it the UK goes into the middle east blowing the hell out of everything and leaves a disaster behind. This contributes to the migrant crisis, I say contributes, because the main reason is different types of muslims cannot live together in pace. But then the likes of Farage urges the UK to pull up the drawbridge to stop the flow of people, which somehow fixes the issue.
    I actually agree with some of those sentiments Pat although
    Farage cannot be blamed for UK foreign policy if indeed that had influence on the outcome. The arab spring was a homegrown affair, In a dozen countries uprising, and there are serious ethical problems in allowing despots to practice genocides unfettered. Damned if we do. Damned if we don't.

But My objection was to the term "racist" used to describe the wish for selective control over population numbers here, which every advanced country outside the EU already does.

The US is an entire nation of immigrants. They still control who can and cant come, favouring some skills over others. Australia and New Zealand are very selective. I do not hear anyone calling Australia and New Zealand racist.
    The mexican border is also a serious problem for traffic of drugs, illegals and tarriff dodging. Any attempt to control that is also called racist. The cheapshot doesnt help

Racist is too often used as a cheapshot, that I as a brexiteer resent.
    Last edited by Oracle; 15-04-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I love it the UK goes into the middle east blowing the hell out of everything and leaves a disaster behind.
    We have arch remainers Blair and Campbell to blame for that! I always love it when the author of the dodgy dossier goes on about Leave “lies”.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    As far as I can see, Farage himself is not a racist, but the party he founded (the first one, UKIP) attracted racists like a light attracts moths. Farage got so concerned that his main project of taking Britain out of the EU would get submerged in accusations of racism, that he put in place strict rules to ban racists from UKIP. Now that party is being led by Gerard Batten, who seems to think that UKIP stands for United Kingdom Islamophobe Party. Farage has had to dissociate himself from UKIP, while Batten finds himself in a bit of a bind: he can't revoke Farage's rules because that would be openly admitting that UKIP welcomes racists, so we have the bizarre situation where someone who is banned from UKIP membership is taken on as an "adviser".

Meanwhile, Farage has gone on to form a new single-issue party (the clue is in the name). He has no credible plans to deal with all those other important issues listed by Derby Tup, although I am sure he could come up with some clever soundbites to rally the troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    There’s a bit more going on in the country than this stupid ideological squabble. Think about:

The NHS
    Housing
    Food banks
    Crime / policing budgets
    Public transport
    Care for the elderly
    Child poverty
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    If you detect anger it is because I am angry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSIsjUqvkfQ

Has anyone on this thread yet pointed out that immigration to the UK from outside the EU is higher than from within the EU (and has been for a long time)?

The main source of "the problem" of immigration has been a strong economy offering jobs to people. If you think leaving the EU will improve the economy, but are worried about immigration, you're on the horns of a dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Has anyone on this thread yet pointed out that immigration to the UK from outside the EU is higher than from within the EU (and has been for a long time)?

The main source of "the problem" of immigration has been a strong economy offering jobs to people. If you think leaving the EU will improve the economy, but are worried about immigration, you're on the horns of a dilemma.
    https://unherd.com/2018/10/remainers...ion-hypocrisy/
    Interesting piece here from Giles Fraser. I like this guy.

In response to your point Noel, yes they have and of course it has also been pointed out on many occasions in debate away from this thread.

Why do you think that is?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Your link won’t load on my phone Witton. Is it about politics and that Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    https://unherd.com/2018/10/remainers...ion-hypocrisy/
    Interesting piece here from Giles Fraser. I like this guy.

In response to your point Noel, yes they have and of course it has also been pointed out on many occasions in debate away from this thread.

Why do you think that is?
    Why do I think it's been pointed out? Because pro-leave politicians use immigration as a reason to leave the EU by saying "we'd like reduce immigration, but we can't without leaving the EU". Whereas it's a spurious argument, because (a) we have control over at least half of immigration currently but choose not to exercise any control over it (b) actually politicians don't want to because they know immigration grows the economy and growth in the economy is one of their key performance indicators - rightly or wrongly (I actually think wrongly - growth for the sake of it is a pointless objective).

Or why do I think it's higher? Because the UK is an attractive place for people to come and live and work. Many of whom speak English, due to language links established from the empire days.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Why do I think it's been pointed out? Because pro-leave politicians use immigration as a reason to leave the EU by saying "we'd like reduce immigration, but we can't without leaving the EU". Whereas it's a spurious argument, because (a) we have control over at least half of immigration currently but choose not to exercise any control over it (b) actually politicians don't want to because they know immigration grows the economy and growth in the economy is one of their key performance indicators - rightly or wrongly (I actually think wrongly - growth for the sake of it is a pointless objective).

Or why do I think it's higher? Because the UK is an attractive place for people to come and live and work. Many of whom speak English, due to language links established from the empire days.
    Sorry for not being clear. I meant why do you think the figures from RoW have also increased over the last 20 years.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell