Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 313

Thread: Farage NEW PM

  1. #281
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    7,418
    Has Labour actually got any policies that are radically different? They seem awfully cautious given the open goal they've got at the moment? I suspect the truth is that neither party wants to incur the wrath of the hidden power base of the country...the financial markets. Look at how quickly they disposed of the Pork Marketeer and her balmy financial policy....wilted faster than a lettuce! The only time in my voting memory that I can recall someone significantly altering the dial was when Blair steered Labour to the middle ground. And there they remain despite the efforts of Corbyn et al. With everyone fighting for the middle, there's no room left which may explain why Farage has decided to exhume himself and lay claim to the right wing (which cuts across the social divide).
    Being as I love spitfires but hate warm beer, I guess I'm one of Wittons 20 percenters!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

  2. #282
    Master Witton Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    8,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Has Labour actually got any policies that are radically different? They seem awfully cautious given the open goal they've got at the moment? I suspect the truth is that neither party wants to incur the wrath of the hidden power base of the country...the financial markets. Look at how quickly they disposed of the Pork Marketeer and her balmy financial policy....wilted faster than a lettuce! The only time in my voting memory that I can recall someone significantly altering the dial was when Blair steered Labour to the middle ground. And there they remain despite the efforts of Corbyn et al. With everyone fighting for the middle, there's no room left which may explain why Farage has decided to exhume himself and lay claim to the right wing (which cuts across the social divide).
    Being as I love spitfires but hate warm beer, I guess I'm one of Wittons 20 percenters!
    I'm not so sure Blair took the centre ground.

    I did at the time, but he was a Trot in his youth and looking back now, he turned this country upside down.

    By the way, The Truss budget, I take it you mean barmy. I think it was pretty sensible bar the higher rate tax change, and I go back to what I have said before.
    This was a Bank of England problem, which they conveniently attributed to Truss and Kwarteng.

    Ask yourself why the BoE reversed a decade or more of QE on the day before the Kwarteng Budget and announced fiscal tightening.

    https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mark...welve%20months.

    The markets were moving on the 22nd, a day before the budget.

    Then the OBR or someone very close to them leaked about a £70 Billion black hole.

    So barmy (or balmy ) maybe, but in the context of the financial markets running the country and not wanting us to break away from the sclerotic growth path we've been on for 3 decades.

    And both BoE and OBR are two bodies independent of Government, removed from the democratic will of Parliament.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 06-06-2024 at 08:45 AM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

  3. #283
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    7,418
    "And both BoE and OBR are two bodies independent of Government, removed from the democratic will of Parliament."

    I wish I could believe that!

  4. #284
    Master Witton Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    8,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    "And both BoE and OBR are two bodies independent of Government, removed from the democratic will of Parliament."

    I wish I could believe that!
    Why don't you believe it?

    The Supreme Court is another. It used to be run by the Lord Chancellor, answerable to Parliament and now is run by the Independent Judicial Appointments Commission.
    Great branding. But what independent means is that the judiciary is now self-appointing because it is independent of Government.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

  5. #285
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    7,418
    I dont believe it and you said it yourself....

    "This was a Bank of England problem, which they conveniently attributed to Truss and Kwarteng."

    Exactly; the Truss proposals gave the banks and markets severe indigestion and so they blocked it and blamed Truss for the failure of implementaion. It was quite a remarkable revelation for me to see how that hidden power worked. Once the market herd had turned, she was toast.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

  6. #286
    Master Witton Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    8,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I dont believe it and you said it yourself....

    "This was a Bank of England problem, which they conveniently attributed to Truss and Kwarteng."

    Exactly; the Truss proposals gave the banks and markets severe indigestion and so they blocked it and blamed Truss for the failure of implementaion. It was quite a remarkable revelation for me to see how that hidden power worked. Once the market herd had turned, she was toast.
    which suggests they have been removed from Parliament....
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

  7. #287
    Master Witton Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    8,879
    Pollsters are struggling.

    One poll out tonight suggests Labour 35, Reform 24, Tory 15 from the same outfit that first reported a Tory vote collapse in May.

    Another as Reform on zero seats, Tories only 55.

    Pick the bones out of that

    Gut feeling.

    Labour 38% and a 150+ majority.

    Tories 15% and maybe 80-100

    LibDems maybe 12-13% and 50-60

    Reform 24% and 10-15 seats.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

  8. #288
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Pollsters are struggling.

    One poll out tonight suggests Labour 35, Reform 24, Tory 15 from the same outfit that first reported a Tory vote collapse in May.

    Another as Reform on zero seats, Tories only 55.

    Pick the bones out of that

    Gut feeling.

    Labour 38% and a 150+ majority.

    Tories 15% and maybe 80-100

    LibDems maybe 12-13% and 50-60

    Reform 24% and 10-15 seats.
    Well we will find out soon, when (some of) the people have spoken. I hope Farage (Reform) doesn't get any seats.

  9. #289
    Master Witton Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    8,879
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Well we will find out soon, when (some of) the people have spoken. I hope Farage (Reform) doesn't get any seats.
    I hope he does, and I'd quite like Rod Liddle to get in for the SDP in Teeside - will make for some interesting Commons debates
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

  10. #290
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    7,929
    I'm voting reform, i promised my mate i would in return for some joinery advice/fettling work.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •