Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Farage NEW PM

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Do I support a completely open border? No. Does anyone? The devil in the detail is who and how many and why and what's the overall approach.

TBH, I have pretty mixed feelings about it. It would be nice if the population of England stayed the same or reduced. We could then rewild a bit and make it a nice place. But I also value the benefits of immigration (and not just the economic ones). Maybe we should be encouraging more people to leave the UK to balance things up.

Maybe a nationalist PM would cause enough people to leave...
    But you told us one of the reasons for voting Remain was freedom of movement of people. You thought it a good idea. Now you are saying there should be a limit. The point I'm making - since this thread is about Nigel Farage - is actually you're no different to him.
    Last edited by CL; 25-04-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Master
    Let's get off this 'persecuting bakers for refusing to bake a cake' and get back to Farage. The Daily Mail says Farage will be responsible for putting Jeremy Corbyn into power. The Guardian says Farage will be responsible for putting Boris into power. These papers really are worried for the status quo even though they see the ending slightly different.

I see a problem for Farage though. At the moment he is binding members from the left and right on the Brexit issue. But in time when other policies are brought forward these will cause big trouble.

Chris, I have looked at a random Facebook UKIP page from a random branch which happened to be Swindon. Looking at the first post of the first article I checked out the posters profile. His list of favourite websites included one called "Mosque busters" and an Enoch Powell appreciation page. Coupled with Tommy Robinson, the founder of the fascist English Defence League,connections with UKIP tells me all I need to know about Farage and his parties.

Banned
    But then farage has distanced himself from UKIP because of the views. It is why the brexit party is well supported and UKIP is emptying.
    To draw your connection is a little like blaming blair or even Keir Hardie for corbyns terrorist and hatred sympathies.

Brexit Party stands and falls on what it states and - just as important - what it enforces. It has kicked out unsavoury posters on social media in the upper echelons with far more speed than Labour ever has.
    Sack them first, ask questions second seems to be the method, which is an approach I prefer to Labour letting people remain provided only they have hammer and sickle underpants,they bow down to corbyn twice a day and otherwise mug the faithful into line. If they do that they can spout any bile they like and not get ousted. Ask Lucinda Berger. Truly labour is the new nasty party.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    Chris, I have looked at a random Facebook UKIP page from a random branch which happened to be Swindon. Looking at the first post of the first article I checked out the posters profile. His list of favourite websites included one called "Mosque busters" and an Enoch Powell appreciation page. Coupled with Tommy Robinson, the founder of the fascist English Defence League,connections with UKIP tells me all I need to know about Farage and his parties.
    Last edited by Oracle; 25-04-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    I think you are rather behind the times. That's why Farage left UKIP and formed a new party.

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    I see a problem for Farage though. At the moment he is binding members from the left and right on the Brexit issue. But in time when other policies are brought forward these will cause big trouble.

I don't.

I think that the No1 aim is to make sure Brexit happens and to call the established parties to account.

That is why he has been able to get a coalition of left and right even if it is more tilted towards right.

It's no different to the TIGS who have a left/right coalition.

But back to the Brexit Party, I don't see it has a long term future.

If they succeed, the party will probably break up, but perhaps they might wait until after it has really been delivered this time.

I think it is likely he will open the door for a new party leader.

The Tories will tank in the 2 elections that are coming and I can't see anyway that May will survive that.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Not very scientific, but a readers poll from North Wales has the following voting intentions for the EU Elections next month.

Brexit 45%
    LibDem 17%
    ChangeUK 8%
    Plaid Cymru 7%
    Labour 7%
    UKIP 5%
    Tories 1%

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nor...paign=sharebar
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

meanwhile 20,000 Express readers polled and

Brexit Party - 89%
    Change UK - 4%
    Conservative - 0%
    Green Party - 0%
    Labour - 2%
    Lib Dems - 1%
    Ukip - 4%
    Other - 0%

Clearly the Express is mostly Tories, but that is an incredible outcome even considering that.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Why would a Labour supporter read the Express? 2% haha
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    But then farage has distanced himself from UKIP because of the views.
    I suppose his problem is stopping those type of people following him from UKIP to the Brexit Party. The organisers have got to be much more strict this time about checking the history of people who stand for the party. But they have no control over those who self-declare themselves as supporters.

Racist Brexiteers can really put off "economic" Brexiteers, who guninely feel the country can do better in a less regulated environment.