Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Farage NEW PM

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Is this how you have conversations in real life? Do you find people walk away before you’ve finished?
    Oh I do miss Mike Bate (Always Injured) on here.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Is this how you have conversations in real life? Do you find people walk away before you’ve finished?

Anyway, enjoy your run.
    I am happy to continue. I got the impression DT wasn't, and I certainly don't wan't to add to his burdens.

I did explain a couple of our disagreements where my position is different to that you stated it to be. Up to you if you respond Noel.
    So long as you don't call brexiteers racists. That strawman pushes too far,.
    But actually the sun is shining. It is warm for once.
    Last edited by Oracle; 17-04-2019 at 01:48 PM.

I’m glad we’ve as a group debunked the myth that immigrants are coming here to take advantage of our welfare system.
    Have we?
    I haven't. I am part of the group aren't I?

Immigrants are a cross section from pickpockets, minimum wage workers, up to Chief Execs.

Sure there are a some here because they can do nicely off benefits, just as we have residents who do.

I wouldn't like to say what % but I've certainly come across it first hand whilst I was fostering.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    I’m glad we’ve as a group debunked the myth that immigrants are coming here to take advantage of our welfare system.

Well they certainly don't come for the weather!

Banned
    True.
    But the point I make is it is not the fundamental reason given for objection to immigration by most brexiteers. So to that extent it is a straw man. Clearly it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Have we?
    I haven't. I am part of the group aren't I?

Immigrants are a cross section from pickpockets, minimum wage workers, up to Chief Execs.

Sure there are a some here because they can do nicely off benefits, just as we have residents who do.

I wouldn't like to say what % but I've certainly come across it first hand whilst I was fostering.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Right, what’s next?

Master
    Oracle, what single point are you making that you’d like me to respond to? If you can put it in one sentence (or one paragraph if it’s complicated) that might help.

Apologies Oracle if you weren’t arguing this. I think there were a few on here who were.
    Noel, Derby Tup are both for an open border to this country? Not just EU but from anywhere?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Chris, sorry I don’t listen to Farage FM. Any other policies please? Maybe things he would do, rather than things he wouldn’t?
    Yes the policy of not medalling in things that don't concern them. If you'd have listened to his radio show you'd get a sense of which way his party will go. For instance the government are increasingly interfering in our choice of food, telling us what we should and shouldn't eat. This doesn't stop at an education campaign which is bad enough, they want to enforce it by law. Farage thinks the government should mind it's own business. And I agree with that policy.

Master
    The UKIP 2015 Manifesto which is the last one for Farage, did not say it would get rid of overseas aid and overall it's not a bad manifesto - some bits in there for both left and right.
    It was well received, with the main criticism of UKIP not being about their manifesto, but whether among their marry band of space cadets, they had anyone credible who could deliver on it.

That could be levelled at Tory, Labour and LibDem though based on recent evidence

The 2015 UKIP manifesto said it would reduce the Overseas Aid budget.

Currently we work to spend 0.7% of GDP on foreign aid and that aid has to be delivered in a way that meets the international definition as that is what we have legally committed to.

I think we are the only major country doing this.

That creates a problem. The efforts to help the Caribbean following hurricane Irma in 2017 did not qualify.

If we haven't spent the money each year, we have to distribute what is left to such entities as The World Bank, UNICEF.... hence there is a tendency to spend on schemes that aren't well thought out.

It's akin to the bonkers policy that we see when Local Authorities go out and spend their budget every March before the end of year.

Whether you agree with the policy to reduce the budget or not, the current situation is a poorly thought out one and it should be reviewed and improved.
    I stand corrected Richard. I think there was a policy to reduce rather than eliminate foreign aid with UKIP. Whatever reduction he brings about or if he eliminates it all together I'd consider it a good thing.

Interesting comment on radio 4 tonight, the number of migrants trying to get into Europe is inversely proportional to the aid budget. Sure you want to reduce it?