Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
I stand corrected Richard. I think there was a policy to reduce rather than eliminate foreign aid with UKIP. Whatever reduction he brings about or if he eliminates it all together I'd consider it a good thing.
What I would like to do as part of our "overseas aid" is an expansion of support ships attached to the Navy.

We supported the efforts to combat ebola with RFA Argus, which can provide emergency supplies, troops on the ground to help the aid effort, helicopter support and medical relief as a hospital ship.

Imagine 4 of these stationed around the world. South Atlantic, Caribbean, Indian Ocean, Western Pacific....

One could have been on hand almost immediately to assist in East Africa after cyclone Idai hit.

When they aren't supporting relief after a disaster, they could be covering their area training local medics, training our medics even, and helping with projects as part of the training for our crew and locals.

We often talk of soft power, imagine the soft power of a few of these placed around the world.