Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike Racing

Bike Racing

I know a few on here follow the road cycling & mountain biking so thought I'd start a thread for all bike racing.

I've been watching some of the cyclocross this last few weeks on GCN+

Van der Poel, Van Aert and Pidcock all cost themselves race wins on the last lap of races with technicals or errors this last week.

Young lad Cameron Mason been getting some good top 10s.

First time watching it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Amazed they can race at that level of intensity so often.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I know a few on here follow the road cycling & mountain biking so thought I'd start a thread for all bike racing.

I've been watching some of the cyclocross this last few weeks on GCN+

Van der Poel, Van Aert and Pidcock all cost themselves race wins on the last lap of races with technicals or errors this last week.

Young lad Cameron Mason been getting some good top 10s.

First time watching it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Amazed they can race at that level of intensity so often.
    I haven't ignored this thread, it's just that I am currently (unsuccessfully) trying to get back into bike racing rather than watch it. You would have thought this would be easy, but in my 25+ years absence from the sport it has changed completely, and not for the better. The main focus of clubs now seems to be to facilitate rides so that members can parade their very expensive bikes to a cafe and back.

There is no cycling equivalent to Parkrun, and no EOD events either. As a skinny former fell runner, and middle distance runner, I thought hill climbs would be suitable. Until I saw the price. Here are details for the national champs race last year, a 1500m uphill time-trial, on public roads, to the Ponderosa car park at the top of the Horseshoe Pass - for £35!!!!!

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/23349

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Been enjoying the CX too and have long harboured a desire to go over and watch an event or 2. May be next year..
    It is intense but thankfully races are relatively short which I guess offsets some of the intensity not that I'd know!
    WVA, MVP and Tom Pidcock are all such great bike handlers ( aside from the latter's dalliance with a fence recently) and a winter of CX pays dividends when we hit the spring classics.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Watched Gullegem yesterday. Easy win for Van Aert but not a great watch. A very boring course/route.

But the commentators said today's at Zonhoven is a cracker. Looks like it might be a good field as well. Probably be out and catch the replay in the morning.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Just watched the full replay of the senior men's British Champs from Crooklands this weekend on GCN+

A win for Callum Mason which was probably a shoe-in based on his racing on the international scene recently.

Particularly interesting for me to watch it, as that was the venue for my first race for 20 years in the Mid Lancs Cross Country Race back in 2003, as a 38 year old Dad.

Ran there a few times over the next 5-6 years, but it looks more developed now.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Binge watched the Tour Down Under - Simon Yates looking in decent nick early season.

But the cracker was the Mens CX World Cup in Benidorm. No mud, but the best race of the season that I've watched.
    I'll not give the game away for anyone - worth catching a replay if you can.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

The UCI road season in Europe starts tomorrow, (seems to start earlier every year, like the football), with the Trofeo Calvia in Spain.

Nope,I'd never heard of it either but it does have quite a strong field with Martin, Meintjes, Powless, McNulty, Trentin, Barguil and Alaphilipe on the start list amongst others

Got some catching up to do, so started running through the entended highlights of the Tour of Valencia.

Some great racing and a real turn up on the final stage.

Now going to start the full race replays of the CX World Champs
    Last edited by Witton Park; 06-02-2023 at 12:05 PM.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Enjoyed Day 1 of the UAE Tour yesterday and about to tune in to day two.

It was a lively echelon day in the cross winds. Just when it looked like all was coming together a small group went off the front and Cav managed a decent 3rd place. Just got caught out of position on the final bend and probably a bit rusty as well.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Just when it looked like all was coming together a small group went off the front and Cav managed a decent 3rd place. Just got caught out of position on the final bend and probably a bit rusty as well.
    I watched it too WP and thought that it was going to be Cavendish's day but his lead out man, from a perfect position, managed to get them squeezed out on the final bend.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog