Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Farage NEW PM

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    I stand corrected Richard. I think there was a policy to reduce rather than eliminate foreign aid with UKIP. Whatever reduction he brings about or if he eliminates it all together I'd consider it a good thing.
    What I would like to do as part of our "overseas aid" is an expansion of support ships attached to the Navy.

We supported the efforts to combat ebola with RFA Argus, which can provide emergency supplies, troops on the ground to help the aid effort, helicopter support and medical relief as a hospital ship.

Imagine 4 of these stationed around the world. South Atlantic, Caribbean, Indian Ocean, Western Pacific....

One could have been on hand almost immediately to assist in East Africa after cyclone Idai hit.

When they aren't supporting relief after a disaster, they could be covering their area training local medics, training our medics even, and helping with projects as part of the training for our crew and locals.

We often talk of soft power, imagine the soft power of a few of these placed around the world.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Interesting comment on radio 4 tonight, the number of migrants trying to get into Europe is inversely proportional to the aid budget. Sure you want to reduce it?
    Inversely proportional to who's aid budget? Can't be the UKs.

The UK gives the 3rd highest cash amount, only USA and China give more and China does it outside of the OECD framework so it is not clear if it is aid.

In terms of % of national income, the UK is 6th behind 5 small, but reasonably well off nations.

Perhaps you need to be looking at some of our other EU mates as to why they aren't giving more then?

France is 50% of UK, Germany 75%, and Ireland 50%.

If the benevolent EU set a rate at (say) 0.6% of GNI and enforced it, we would see our contribution come down and 22 EU States contributions go up.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

The commentor was not takling about the UK specifically. He was saying that more investment in these countries reduces the push factor that is driving them towards making the journey.

Brexit Party 27%
    Labour 22%
    Conservative 15%
    Lib Dem 9%
    UKIP 7%
    Change UK 6%
    SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Interesting comment on radio 4 tonight, the number of migrants trying to get into Europe is inversely proportional to the aid budget. Sure you want to reduce it?
    The sad thing about abuse of statistics, conflating a correlation with cause, or even hypothesising cause or relationship in absence of sufficient volume of data or control group , is people can start to believe in unproven nonsense.

The fundamental problem with our foreign aid policy is the rigidity of it. It should not be automatic, and should be considered on an as and when basis. As Witton states It certainly should not be spent just to make a predetermined total.

One thing EU actively prevents is fair or free trade. So many countries are prevented from such as agricultural export to generate income to Improve their own circumstance. It's one of the reasons some of us dislike EU. We should trade with them, not give handouts in other than emergencies.
    Last edited by Oracle; 18-04-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

One thing EU actively prevents is fair or free trade. So many countries are prevented from such as agricultural export to generate income to Improve their own circumstance. It's one of the reasons some of us dislike EU. We should trade with them, not give handouts in other than emergencies.
    An excellent point Oracle. The EU’s Common Agricultural Policy, which discriminates against third world farmers is a disgrace.

Suppose the problem is what is the right balance? Does the EU import the vast majority of its food and turn it's countryside into team parks that are managed by former farmers or do we just all move to urban areas seing as it is not possible to make a living off the land? In doing so it is encouraging the even quicker destruction of such valuable resources as the Rain Forests, which is happening so quickly due to us importing Olive Oil and other products.

Part of the reason EU farmers cannot compete on a level playing field against non-EU producers is the amount of environmental legislation they have to content with. Do we slash the legislation to help the farmers, which then leads to a cross over to the current active thread on wind turbines.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of CAP, but I love the UK countryside and I would be devestated to see all those lovely hill farming communities wiped out because tarrifs on Australian and New Zeland lamb are cut to zero.

Timely Article
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...erious-trouble
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 18-04-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Do you want the European farms to be like this?
    Biggest Farms In The World
    Rank......Farm.................................... .............Area
    1 Mudanjiang City Mega Farm, Heilongjiang, China 22,500,000 acres
    2 Modern Dairy, Anhui, China 11,000,000 acres
    3 Anna Creek, South Australia, Australia 6,000,000 acres
    4 Clifton Hills, South Australia, Australia 4,200,000 acres
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 18-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    Yes the policy of not medalling in things that don't concern them. If you'd have listened to his radio show you'd get a sense of which way his party will go. For instance the government are increasingly interfering in our choice of food, telling us what we should and shouldn't eat. This doesn't stop at an education campaign which is bad enough, they want to enforce it by law. Farage thinks the government should mind it's own business. And I agree with that policy.
    Part of what you are saying I agree with but educating people on what is right / wrong with respects to a diet is correct. I do think that there needs to be a 'happy medium' with respect to telling people what to do but taken to the nth degree are you saying a school shouldn't educate pupils on diets and food groups (as the Government okays what is on the curriculum). If the government completely stays out of everything (eg non-foods as well) are you saying no reports should have been made public with respect to smoking and it's dangers. And yes, I know that is an extreme example!!!

I love the goverment should not interfier attitude. If a person has diabetes, which lack of exercise and poor diet is a major contributing factory would that person expect the goverment to take care of them via the NHS?

But that same person does not want the goverment to try to stop them getting diabetes in the first place by informing (end even encouraging) them to eat well and excerise.