Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a bit 'post viral'

a bit 'post viral'

Anyone any experience of recurring viral infections?

tl:dr
    So I picked something nasty up in late November/Early December. hacking cough, snotty, sinus pain. Eased after a few days and thought not much of it. It the reared its head again over Christmas, then mid February (bad enough for a day off work and a weekend mostly in bed) and again mid-March. By this 4th time it was more than coincidence so I resolved to drop race plans and cut back on pushing my body. Immediately took 10 days off running (7 days off exercise as was skiing at time).

I then started easy running, 3-4 days jogging then a day off (at about 50-70% of my normal weekly volume) for 3 weeks. A few runs got a bit harder when a running partner would push a bit. After 3 weeks of easy running I was feeling good so thought I'd see how a local 5km would go. The day after I had a sore throat and the next day was back to the 2nd worst I'd felt out of any of my bouts so far. Same symptoms as above

So I've been to the doctor for blood tests. No results in 1 week so assume there's nothing wildly anomalous. 7 days off running but still a bit mucusy in the throat. I'm upping my Vit D again (dropped off that once the clocks changed) and taking a bit more iron. Diet is generally pretty good - lots of veg, some fruit, cutting down on meat a bit but not super quickly. Bit too much crisp/desert comfort eating of late mind.

2 of my friends I was with the weekend I picked it up have had similar symptoms and reoccurrence patterns, but with less running.

Everything has felt pretty viral and the tiredness I get when i feel ill again definitely does so. HOwever waking resting heart rate hasn't been too high - when it is I'll cut back for the day - though I am aware of my hr getting very high when I jog on anything other than the flat (i.e. reaching about 90% of max) It's obvious that my hitherto bombproof immunity has been compromised - moved to new area and new job in October, then hit 3-0 soon after! Energy levels a bit lower but not feeling CFSy.

Question is do I ask for treatment of the virus or sit on my hands and ride it out as antibiotics could hit the body worse.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Anyone any experience of recurring viral infections?

tl:dr
    So I picked something nasty up in late November/Early December. hacking cough, snotty, sinus pain. Eased after a few days and thought not much of it. It the reared its head again over Christmas, then mid February (bad enough for a day off work and a weekend mostly in bed) and again mid-March. By this 4th time it was more than coincidence so I resolved to drop race plans and cut back on pushing my body. Immediately took 10 days off running (7 days off exercise as was skiing at time).

I then started easy running, 3-4 days jogging then a day off (at about 50-70% of my normal weekly volume) for 3 weeks. A few runs got a bit harder when a running partner would push a bit. After 3 weeks of easy running I was feeling good so thought I'd see how a local 5km would go. The day after I had a sore throat and the next day was back to the 2nd worst I'd felt out of any of my bouts so far. Same symptoms as above

So I've been to the doctor for blood tests. No results in 1 week so assume there's nothing wildly anomalous. 7 days off running but still a bit mucusy in the throat. I'm upping my Vit D again (dropped off that once the clocks changed) and taking a bit more iron. Diet is generally pretty good - lots of veg, some fruit, cutting down on meat a bit but not super quickly. Bit too much crisp/desert comfort eating of late mind.

2 of my friends I was with the weekend I picked it up have had similar symptoms and reoccurrence patterns, but with less running.

Everything has felt pretty viral and the tiredness I get when i feel ill again definitely does so. HOwever waking resting heart rate hasn't been too high - when it is I'll cut back for the day - though I am aware of my hr getting very high when I jog on anything other than the flat (i.e. reaching about 90% of max) It's obvious that my hitherto bombproof immunity has been compromised - moved to new area and new job in October, then hit 3-0 soon after! Energy levels a bit lower but not feeling CFSy.

Question is do I ask for treatment of the virus or sit on my hands and ride it out as antibiotics could hit the body worse.
    Hope you get sorted Nic. If you’re after advice on metal, any type - thrash, prog, classic rock, new wave of British heavy metal...I’m your man. I’m also pretty clued up on fell races. Unfortunately, medical matters aren’t really my thing. All the best pal, take care.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Hope you get sorted Nic. If you’re after advice on metal, any type - thrash, prog, classic rock, new wave of British heavy metal...I’m your man. I’m also pretty clued up on fell races. Unfortunately, medical matters aren’t really my thing. All the best pal, take care.
    Ever come across this Daz?

Interesting sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Ever come across this Daz?

Interesting sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc
    Cheers Richard, I enjoyed that...Like you say, "interesting sound".
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I still haven't worked out how listening to metal is going to help ba-ba with his post-viral syndrome.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

When I'd turned 40 I started to have really bad coughing/wheezing/snotty periods,it got diagnosed as exercise induced asthma, not the same as you, but so frustrating. Grew out of it by 50. Worth waiting for blood test results,in Cumbria results take longer now as there are more being done but there are less technicians to analyse reults, could be the same where you are. All the best with recovery.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I still haven't worked out how listening to metal is going to help ba-ba with his post-viral syndrome.
    might increase my iron levels. Ba-dum-tish!

After 7 days off I did a couple of easy jogs, with a day in between, not sure if it was them or the skinful on Friday that tired me out over the rest of the weekend - something to cut out there! Interestingly I wasn't too tired at work, but I did crash once home, napping heavily and not wanting to do anything after.

Bloods came back clear, though they have suggested getting thyroid checked again in a year. Will discuss with GP next week and get the actual numbers so I can see if borderline (as this would affect an 'athlete' more than the sedentary.)

I'm going to keep a good track of hr, feeling, running and see if there's any patterns.

I've sort of already pegged this year as a fallow one - I've got plenty of time left to race hard - but having just joined a new club that I was hoping to race for and help out in championships etc. it's a bit of a bugger!

cheers for the suggestions!
    Last edited by ba-ba; 23-04-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    might increase my iron levels. Ba-dum-tish!

Bloods came back clear, though they have suggested getting thyroid checked again in a year. Will discuss with GP next week and get the actual numbers so I can see if borderline (as this would affect an 'athlete' more than the sedentary.)
    Nic, you most definitely need to see the actual numbers for iron and especially ferritin. Ferritin levels for an endurance athlete need to be much higher than for a 'normal' person. Just ask Sue - she knows loads about this!

I have no medical knowledge but experience leads me to think one has to treat these viral/tiredness problems with respect and a few days off may not be the answer. Something may show on blood tests etc. in which case you can seek a solution, but if not, then a long layoff of gentle, non body stress exercise may be the only answer.
    My worst period was in my 30s following a dose of measles (which was very, very unpleasant), but following it I thought I was pretty indestructible at that age and would be ok in a couple of weeks. A good 2 years later I was getting back to good health - following a long, long layoff.

You may have to consider knocking running on the head for the summer and settle for hill walking, gentle cycling till you feel properly strong again. Just my inexpert opinion.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

so bloods have come back clear (as expected) and the doc says that 4-5 viral infections a winter is par for the course and I've been lucky to get by with 0/1 light infection a winter for the last 20+ years.

I find this last statement a bit of a cop-out.
    been doing a bit of jogging and will see how the body responds - keeping metrics in a googledoc to see if I can find any patterns.